Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fess Up

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Nasty, nasty, nasty. Over on the left of the screen, there's info on your location, hammock, tarp, insulation and suspension. I think there should also be a "do you pee in your hammock?" notation, so people will immediately know that if you post something for sale, it's probably covered in bodily waste. Everybody will know, at a glance, that your hammock, topquilt, underquilt and pack (not to mention hiking boots) smell like asparagus!

Even if I did pee into a bottle, or out of the hammock, I would never say so on a public forum. People can look that stuff up and they'll immediately know how nasty you and your gear are!
    Let's face it, any where you are in woods, something/someone has probably peed/pooped in the location you're calling camp. So, why bother lying to yourself and make yourself believe that your spot is pristine or sanitary.
    I work in the medical field, and I treat everyone and everything as contaminated/infectious.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Fess Up

I am in my mid 60s. If I don't drink any liquids (particularly tea or coffee) after 8 pm and go before turning in, then I get up twice, first sometime between 12-2 and then between 5-7 am. If the second time is closer to 7, most of the time I just stay up. I agree it builds character to get out of my WBRR, warm and comfortable under my TQ, to take care of business. I have not had the courage to try it without leaving the hammock or to try the Little John I used when I was a ground dweller. I have just accepted it as the trade-off for sleeping so well every night.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    One of the big points about elevation for me is...I'm not down there sleeping where the animals do all that stuff.

Why would I choose to do that to myself, by peeing on my gear, and where my feet are going to be?

I'm with SS. If you do so, please post here so we can go back and check, when your gear hits the For Sale thread.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > I think there should also be a "do you pee in your hammock?" notation,

Normally I’d let this … go, but Sister Mary Francies’s specter is hovering near with her ruler in hand. Perhaps you meant to say, “do you pee from your hammock?”

Just say’n.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

This is why I'll never* have a zip-in mosquito net!
    SCrawford

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just get up and go. Same as at home.
    Nothing like feeling pee splash on my shins and wobbling as I stand and excrete in the night.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    Two issues:

1. Pissing on the spot where I'll be making my breakfast in a few hours time doesn't appeal to me.

2. Pissing out of my hammock while half asleep in the middle of the night means there's a very good chance I'll get it on shoes, UQ, or pack. Even worse, I might fall out of hammock, possibly into a fresh pool of piss. Or my TQ might fall into the piss. Basically something bad will happen for sure, and I'll be pissed off.

^^^^^ Exactly THIS ^^^^^

One good gust of wind can make for a mess of epic proportions.

I have never and will never lean out of the hammock to relieve myself. Get up and out, take a few steps away and get it done.

If you're NOT doing this, you could be missing some of the best views, and sensory rich experiences backcountry has to offer you. They don't call it 'Nature Calling' for no reason. Cloudless starry nights, nocturnal life making its' racket, maybe a visitor eyeing you from the dark woods.. even in deep winter, I'll get up when nature calls. Truly surprised at how few eyes are looking back at me.

I never scope out where I am going to go, because I don't always have to go. If am with another hiker, and hear them get up, it won't be long before I follow. It's a safety thing.. they'll get eaten first and my coast will be clear. I do like the idea of stomping out a path in the winter. That's a neat idea.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 09-20-2020 at 09:45.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20° Wookie
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I always get up walk at least 20 feet away! Yes other animals pee all over the woods, but I would not want to step in a fresh ish puddle of my own urine when I get out of the hammock or make my breakfast next to it, or risk my gear. Medical issues aside of course.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I appreciate the replies.

I am new to hammocks and I believe that I have now completely changed my mind on the subject - the anxiety of getting it just right and the huge downsides of not having a perfect execution just does not seem worth the risk!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Not the most ultralight idea, but you could always wear a diaper to bed. How bad do you not want to leave the hammock to take a leak? Well that depends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast