Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12 foot
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle

Question The Wild Oak Trail - VA

Hi All,

I am heading to VA to hike the Wild Oak Trail in early October.

I modified the hike to be a bit more hydration friendly for the last day and a half (9 river crossings the last day).

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...66f0ea--26?u=i

• Anyone overly familiar with it?
    • Do you enjoy calling it "TWOT" as much as I do? (I hope Acronyms are not forbidden on this forum, or at least that one...)
    • Anything worth mentioning about the hike? Insights?
    • Any portents of doom?

Thanks

Cimm
    nanos gigantum humeris insidentes

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Have not hiked that particular trail, nor even heard of it until your post. I'm gonna guess I like calling it that name as much as you do, lol.
    I have however hiked a few trails VERY near there, one of which even shares a bit of space with the TWOT. Those two trails being Ramsey's Draft loop hike, and Shenandoah Mountain loop hike, I also combined those two trails/hikes making a bigger loop hike. Beautiful part of VA for sure, in my opinion - though it can get surprisingly overgrown from late spring through summer and into early fall.
    Thanks for posting about this "new" (to me) trail! I hope you have grate weather, and a grate hike..

Looking forward to hearing any first hand info from anyone here on the forum who'd done this hike.

willin'

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12 foot
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    Thanks for the reply! I am happy to do a post mortem on the hike, and will let you know.
    nanos gigantum humeris insidentes

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    I know it's been a month-ish now...

I went up and hiked The Wild Oak Trail today.
    Definitely a Grate trail! I would recommend it to anyone.

I did the loop clockwise as per the directions on hikingupward.com, and parked at the first trail head listed in those directions - which goes up and links up with the Ramsey's Draft loop hike trail for a bit, until that trail breaks off left on the Hiner Springs Trail.

Any ways... Grate trail for sure! Thanks for mentioning it!

If you want any "post mortem" I can likely answer any questions at this point. I video'd it all too, but as I did it all as a day hike, I actually didn't put up my hammock - though I carried it, and a bunch of other stuff in my pack too...

willin'

Hi willin'!

Looks like a nice trip! Thinking of doing it this weekend. Question tho: Did you notice if there's any water sources near the first couple of camp sites listed on Hiking Upward (mile 3ish)? I'd like to get a couple miles in Friday night so I can get right to hiking on Saturday. I probably will do that either way, just a matter of how much water to carry.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Hey there skiventureftw!

Definitely a very nice hike, and in my opinion/experience, it is "classic Virginia Appalachian mountains & trail". I didn't think the trail was too hard - but of course that is very subjective.
    The leaves are looking pretty good right now too, in regards to color. I'll add a few photos of the sunrise I got yesterday morning from the trail and some of the leaf color(s).

As to water: I started just before sunrise from the parking lot. On my way up to the first listed "wildlife pond" at mile 2.3, I heard running water off to my right at some point, and of course the water from the "wildlife pond". After that, no - no water until a spring coming right out of the ground on the right, just past the Hiner Spring Trail turn off (which goes off to the left). Then no water again until down at Camp Todd (water on the right before you get to the forest road, and then a proper mountain stream/small river that you gotta cross, after you cross the road. So, if you want to camp at the spots you're talking about, then either carry up from the parking lot, or grab some from the "wildlife pond". That ridge is a Super Sweet spot though for catching sunrise!! Here's a few photos from yesterdays hike,

I hope you go, and hope you have a grate time or it all, weather, views, and all!

willin'

I always wanted to hike that trail. I was responsible for Staunton Dam and Elkhorn Lake as I was the Superintendent of Water and Wastewater Treatment for the City of Staunton. It has been awhile, but we have camped at Todd lake a few times. I do like to hammock camp though, not necessarily with a hike involved. Breaking my heel bone in 2012 has slowed my hiking down since. If you plan another White Oak Trail hike maybe I can do part of it with you.
    For those that do not know the area, it is really beautiful and peaceful. It would be a great experience for anyone to camp in that area.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefH View Post
    I always wanted to hike that trail. I was responsible for Staunton Dam and Elkhorn Lake as I was the Superintendent of Water and Wastewater Treatment for the City of Staunton. It has been awhile, but we have camped at Todd lake a few times. I do like to hammock camp though, not necessarily with a hike involved. Breaking my heel bone in 2012 has slowed my hiking down since. If you plan another White Oak Trail hike maybe I can do part of it with you.
    For those that do not know the area, it is really beautiful and peaceful. It would be a great experience for anyone to camp in that area.
    When or If I go back up there and hike The Wild Oak Trail, you can bet I'll shoot you a PM on the forum ahead of time. We have those golden anchors in common brother, 4/1/1893.

I've hiked the Ramsey's Draft loop hike (which shares trail with The Wild Oak Trail for a bit), the Shenandoah Mountain loop hike (shares trail with the Ramsey's Draft loop hike, along the draft, or "stream"), and now The Wild Oak Trail, and I definitely agree with your comment and recommendation,

That is: "For those that do not know the area, it is really beautiful and peaceful. It would be a great experience for anyone to camp in that area."

It would be very easy to break it (The Wild Oak Trail) up into an overnighter, or even multi-night.

willin'

• + New Posts