Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I picked up their Pinnacle 180 (half zip bug net) and it just arrived this week. Put it up in the backyard and so far I am happy with it. It is my first 11 ft hammock though, so I can't compare it directly to the pricier cottage hammocks.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    Looks like you found a good deal for some intro gear. Post a review when it gets some test time!
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Does the fabric actually measure 11'? That's what I always wonder, as a lot of low-priced online hammocks measure from the attachment points and claim 11', rather than measuring the actual fabric...

Hammock
    chameleon dutchware
    Tarp
    rain fly evolution
    Insulation
    onewind underquilt
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    i've got a onewind under quilt. i must say that it's done the job so far. my nephew has had one for maybe a year and it's held up. i think there's a review on ultimatehang.com about their products. i'm very happy with mine. i had to do a minor adjustment to the shock cord for it to fit my chameleon hammock. it had one shock cord per side and i made another cord for each side and it worked great. i'm on a budget so i know what you mean. my first hammock was a complete setup type like that.it was a easthills company hammock and it was a good product i still use it for my buddies that don't have one that goes out with us.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’ve got Onewind complete setup. I wasn’t sure if I would like hammock camping or not and the price was right. The pandemic blues hit me one weekend and I hit Amazon and bought the entire setup and started my hammock camping journey.

I’ve slept in it probably 15 nights now and have been totally satisfied. I haven’t yet tried any cottage hammocks, but I am looking forward to it now that I’m sold on hammocking.

Overall, it’s been a great experience - comfortable, a full 11’ with a 68” width, it’s easy to get comfy in there. The UQ also works well, I’ve had no problems with it once I adjusted it. It has a fronkey bug net which I love for how well it works and no messing with zippers, but its a hassle to put away when I don’t want to use it. The buckle system and those long straps makes it a painful removal. I got some Dutch clips and the beetle buckle which has helped tremendously. I can disconnect a hammock ends and then 1/2 remove the bug net in about 45 seconds now which works great. Makes drinking coffee in the morning more fun with no net.

My primary complaints have been - the ridgeline organizer is so small and thin that it’s basically throw-away. And weight! Compared to cottage gear, this stuff is super heavy - the hammock, the straps, the quilts, it’s all weighs much more, but is still reasonable. I mean, my full pack has a base weight of 17 pounds with all the hammock stuff, backpack stoves, pot, etc. So its reasonable to me. I could for sure shave a few pounds off that, but its good for now until I research my Dream hammock (intended pun!)

Good luck.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Forgot the mention. If you do get the Onewind UQ, you might also get what they call the camp blanket . In the summer I used that as my top quilt with temps into the 50s and I was super comfy.

The nice part about it, however, is that it snaps “into” the UQ giving another 15-20 degrees and turning your 3 season UQ into a 4 season (so they say). I haven’t tested any of this yet, but am looking forward to it this winter. It’s a cool idea. I suppose you also just stick a blanket under most any UQ, but the snaps are neat.

Of course, all this flexibility comes with extra weight over down, but I sure like it for late spring, summer, early fall here in the PNW as the blanket is much lighter and packs smaller than my sleeping bag. It also works wet, and we have a lot of moisture around here.

Hammock
    Onewind Double Hammock
    Tarp
    C Gorilla Fortres2
    Insulation
    Down Under | Upper
    Suspension
    1/8 Amsteel Whoopy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Micro you are not going to get a lot of luv for chinese made goods here. That said you get what you paid for in this hobby.
    I'm not a Chinese supporter, why I sent them a message. For my Freshman college daughter, I'm not going to invest in a Dutchware for her to lose or destroy. I still haven't purchased it for her, it's way too much hammock. I lost her at synch buckles much less ridgeline...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    In the past, I used to invest in very low end music systems. I did that because I have a hearing loss and figured the cost of a higher performance system would be wasted on my ears. One day a neighbor gave me a ride in her new car with new top-o-line stereo option. Amazing! I could hear the the triangles and snare drum brushes. So maybe my thinking was wrong - I actually needed to invest in the best I could afford if I wanted to hear all the music.

So with hammocks - if a person is just starting out, or not interested so much, it might be better to let them try the most comfortable situation available. There is a place for those inexpensive “parachute” hammocks. If I take a trip out of the country, I’ll bring them. If I’m hiking with a group and some what to try a hammock at the lunch/break/destination spot, I’d probably use “bottom line” for that.

If I were taking someone new to hammocks out for an overnight and I only had two hammocks - a high end (like blackbird) and a low end - I’d give them the better hammock in order to give them the best chance for comfort.

I cringe a bit when I hear, I tried a hammock once, and I didn’t like it.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree 100% with cougarmeat. I think one of the main reason I fell in love with hammocking was I started off with a WBBB and had comfortable night sleeps from my first night with my hammock and never looked back. Granted, getting old and finding it hard to sleep on the ground helped but even a bad night in my hammock is better than my best sleep in a tent

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    If the hammock is 11' long it should be plenty comfortable. After a certain point you are paying a lot more for features than comfort. Zippered bug nets, options for top covers, storage options, weight savings, etc. The options for different fabrics will aid in comfort but everyone has different preferences there so it's tough to know upfront. I like to introduce people to hammock camping with a homemade 11' netless hammock. Cheap but comfortable. If these hammocks really are 11' long, even though they are cheap, they should give someone a good idea if hammock camping is for them. At that point, education will be the key, teaching them how to set it up correctly and lay on a diagonal, how to stay warm, etc.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast