Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

What Comes After The Superior Hiking Trail?

Beginning of this month I finished up my section hike of the SHT that I started 3 years ago. Really my first experience backpacking and the SHT treated me well. Looking forward to next year I find myself in need of actually picking a new trail instead of just opening the guidebook and looking for a stretch I had not done. So I am looking for recommendations for where to head to next.

SHT was all done in 2 or 3 night sections mainly because I made the great decision to start overnight trips when I had a baby at home. Now have a 4 and almost 2 year old so my wife is coming around to the idea of a longer stretch, lets say a week and I can bargain with her later. So pretty much anything 2-7 nights in length. I am in Minneapolis but happy to drive a couple of states over if the location and duration seem appropriate (Mountain Wanderer's recent video definitely got me thinking about Montana. I feel like the natural progression from the SHT (especially since I ended at the north end) would be to just keep going onto the Border Route Trail or the Kekekabic Trail. Did a bit of light searching and watched a few videos and not sure that is the kind of challenge I want to move into right away. To quote Shug on the BRT, "It is VERY OVERGROWN in many places and for long stretches... We agreed on 90% Challenge and 10% fun." While I might want to push through all that someday the SHT has probably left me on the spoiled side of having a maintained trail. Plus both the trail maintenance trips for the BRT were cancelled this year due to COVID which I imagine will make for an extra rough year next year.

A lot of people I talked to on the trail recommend Isle Royale and I have seen that also be popular on these forums. Badlands over in South Dakota also sound appealing, though I have the sense I may need to leave the hammock behind for an adventure there. Other folks on the trail also mentioned the Porcupine Mountains and Governor Knowles State Forest. I have also really enjoyed Shug's shorter BWCA videos so maybe look for trails there.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    NCT in Wisconsin is a right goodie and right next door.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Keep the 1-2 night shorter trips in your itinerary and get that 4 year old out on the trail. You will not regret it in the long run. But remember to keep it fun and adventurous for them, not a forced march.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Keep the 1-2 night shorter trips in your itinerary and get that 4 year old out on the trail. You will not regret it in the long run. But remember to keep it fun and adventurous for them, not a forced march.
    My plan is to take him up to the one of the Sonju Lake campsites on the SHT next year! We did an overnight at a park this year and he did great. Plan is definitely for much shorter days and some more stuff to do at camp like s'mores.

Hammock
    DIY/WB eldorado
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema 12'
    Insulation
    loco libre ghost p
    Suspension
    Whoopie with Dutch
    Hi, I agree with Porcupines, and also recommending the Angleworm Trail out of Ely. Its an easy overnighter with the Bass Lake Trail as dessert.
    TomL

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlakner View Post
    Hi, I agree with Porcupines, and also recommending the Angleworm Trail out of Ely. Its an easy overnighter with the Bass Lake Trail as dessert.
    TomL
    I actually did the Angleworm Trail as a day hike a couple of years ago. I was up there with a number of friends for a cabin weekend. When asked if anyone else wanted to get up super early and go hike it... no takers. Definitely would have liked spending a night there. I remember I did the loop heading east. Was getting pretty close to wrapping up the loop on the west side and I stopped next to the lake to enjoy the view on a rock, even took my boots off to relax! Rock must have been steeper than I realized because about a minute later one of my boots goes sliding down the rock straight towards the water. I then had one of those reactions to reach out and grab it and ended up sliding down the rock next to my boot also into the lake. Was really happy I brought my teva sandals along because I ended up wearing those out the last mile or two instead of those soaked boots.

Looking at the Porcupine Mountain site there seems to be a large number of trails and campsites. Any favorites?

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    if you're looking for something in south dakota, i would recommend either the centennial or mickelson trail here in the black hills, they basically paralell each other but the centennial is more of a hiking trail, the mickelson is smother and used for hiking but more for biking

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    if you're looking for something in south dakota, i would recommend either the centennial or mickelson trail here in the black hills, they basically paralell each other but the centennial is more of a hiking trail, the mickelson is smother and used for hiking but more for biking

boot
    That is really cool, I had no idea South Dakota had a long trail like that! Is it relatively hammock friendly? Saw a lot of photos of wide open spaces when looking it up.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    I actually did the Angleworm Trail as a day hike a couple of years ago. I was up there with a number of friends for a cabin weekend. When asked if anyone else wanted to get up super early and go hike it... no takers. Definitely would have liked spending a night there. I remember I did the loop heading east. Was getting pretty close to wrapping up the loop on the west side and I stopped next to the lake to enjoy the view on a rock, even took my boots off to relax! Rock must have been steeper than I realized because about a minute later one of my boots goes sliding down the rock straight towards the water. I then had one of those reactions to reach out and grab it and ended up sliding down the rock next to my boot also into the lake. Was really happy I brought my teva sandals along because I ended up wearing those out the last mile or two instead of those soaked boots.

Looking at the Porcupine Mountain site there seems to be a large number of trails and campsites. Any favorites?
    Little Carp / Big Carp Trail. Shining Cloud Falls site.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Little Carp / Big Carp Trail. Shining Cloud Falls site.
    So that would be BC-7 on this map? This does seem like quite a spectacular area.

http://www.michigandnr.com/Publicati...mpsite_Map.pdf

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast