WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    That is really cool, I had no idea South Dakota had a long trail like that! Is it relatively hammock friendly? Saw a lot of photos of wide open spaces when looking it up.
    it's completely hammock friendly, if you can't find 10,000 different trees to hang from, you took a wrong turn and are in nebraska!

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    So that would be BC-7 on this map? This does seem like quite a spectacular area.

http://www.michigandnr.com/Publicati...mpsite_Map.pdf
    Aye, that is the one
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon WB RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Dyneema
    Insulation
    EE Rev HG UnderQui
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Great hike and camping spots going up Black Elk Peak, formerly Harney Peak. Plan the water and camping spots, great views from the top.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    As others have suggested, Porcupine mountains and Isle Royale are both excellent choices: similar, but different than SHT.

A couple comments: If you go to Isle Royale, I would suggest bringing a minimal go-to-ground backup (i.e., at least a minimal pad) along with your hammock. This is because the park service is pretty strict about camping on the actual camping pads, and not going off into the woods even a short distance to string up a hammock. I was able to legally hammock for 6 straight days there, but if the place had been busier I could certainly imagine having to go to ground. Compared to SHT, Isle Royale doesn't have the rapid rivers and falls, but it has more of a sense of true wilderness, and yet still mostly well maintained trails. It also has it's own discussion board: https://isleroyaleforums.com/

Closer to home, there are North Country Trail sections in Wisconsin and west/central MN. I am familiar with the MN parts: nice trails, but much tamer terrain than SHT. Not much for overlooks, but some very nice camp spots on backcountry lakes. Also, surprisingly remote: you can pretty much hike from a trailhead just east of Detroit Lakes, all the way to near Remer east of Walker; you will cross roads, but pretty much never see any houses or other buildings. I have frequently (not always) had a campsite to myself, even on a saturday night.

Others have commented on South Dakota hiking, so I will comment on North Dakota hiking. Believe it or not, there's actually a really nice area for a 1-2 night hike, which is the north country trail through the Sheyenne National Grasslands in SE North Dakota. Again, the terrain is tame (there are microhills, not real hills), but it's a mix of open prairie interspersed with hardwood forest groves that make great hanging spots; it's really a much more open, "western" feel than you get in minnesota.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Think at the moment I am leaning towards a Porcupine Mountain trip and then either the Kekekabic or Isle Royale. Really appreciate all these great ideas!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12