Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp

Hammock camping UK - restrictive

Having performed great research for established camp sites in the East of England that can accommodate hammock camping, it came up with a fat zero. Seems that the hammock community are not catered for? I’ve not researched beyond this area yet but it seems off-grid camping is the only choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most UK campsites are wide open fields divided into plots by, maybe, a bit of hedge. You’re unlikely to find one with trees suitable for hammocking and, if you did, the owners would be too precious to risk damaging them.
    I daresay most campsite owners are pretty ignorant about hammocking and are only interested in families in caravans and tents.
    If you were using a turtledog stand with a tarp over it you could possibly get away with it passing for a tent.
    There may be some hideaway certificated sites that might be more accommodating.
    I’ve only hammocked in the UK when wild camping or in private fields where the owners are relaxed about what you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Have you considered making or purchasing a hammock stand? The Tensa4 commercial stand is a good choice and if importing one is restrictive, then they can easily be made with basic hand tools and hardware. The one I made fits into a 15cmx80cm camp chair bag. The hammock and tarp make a nice portable unit the fits in the boot.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    https://nearlywildcamping.org/

Other than seeing the page mentioned elsewhere, I havent looked closely at it, or had any dealings.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    I have just had my last enquiry back and very fortunately the site has hammock capability

For information the website is listed below:

http://www.orchardcampsite.co.uk/

So any folk wanting to give your young kids an introduction to hammock camping before stretching out into off-grid territory, this site sounds ideal.

The UK is very frustrating. There are many trails and walks near me, I live in a dang forest, but I am absolutely NOT allowed to sleep in THE FOREST in my hammock. I even called the forestry commission to ask. It's absurd!

Depends if you want to be legit. Most of our camping/nights out in the last few (maybe five or six) years has been wild camping. Move just a few metres away from a road or path and you are highly unlikely to be spotted especially if you don't have a camp fire or shine bright lights everywhere. See my "Mid Wales" trip report - the second night was spent within ten metres of a road with only a few trees between us and the road.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    I feel your pain and frustration. Typically ‘we’ are very much respectful and follow completely the ‘leave no trace’ mandate, however living in a nanny state the authorities cannot encourage this because it is all about control - hence the kick they are currently getting with the COVID scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    Depends if you want to be legit. Most of our camping/nights out in the last few (maybe five or six) years has been wild camping. Move just a few metres away from a road or path and you are highly unlikely to be spotted especially if you don't have a camp fire or shine bright lights everywhere. See my "Mid Wales" trip report - the second night was spent within ten metres of a road with only a few trees between us and the road.
    True, but it's shame I'd have to spend the night worrying I'll wake up to a flashlight and a police officer/ranger telling me off/fining me

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast