Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by boothbot View Post
    True, but it's shame I'd have to spend the night worrying I'll wake up to a flashlight and a police officer/ranger telling me off/fining me
    Unless they have changed the law trespass is not a criminal offence so it's up to the land owner to ask you to leave. If you don't the police may then become involved. I would be more worried about drunken oiks wanting to play whack a mole if I were that close to the road. I have camped along the river just off the footpath though. River banks often have some of the best places for stealth hanging.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
    Unless they have changed the law trespass is not a criminal offence so it's up to the land owner to ask you to leave
    Fairly sure that's still the case for now. I believe there's plans to change that, mainly due to protesters doing sit ins. Which could have consequences for wild camping.
    I used to wild camp in Wales, peaks. Gloucestershire an Oxfordshire quite often back in the 80s 90s and never had and issues, even when being spotted by farmers. If you have obviously tried to keep out of the way and your not disturbing or damaging anything, they will more often than not leave you alone.

I have camped along the river just off the footpath though. River banks often have some of the best places for stealth hanging.
    Watch out for rivers with fishing rights, as they often have a bailiff, who would often keep a look out for over night poaching.

Use dips and hollows or patches of denser woodland to shield your from most likely observers and its easy enough to not be noticed.
    Have an afternoon/evening hang to check out a site.

I'm currently overlooking a field which was harvested last week, the sun has set and the barn owls are screeching. It's not all blissful, as some muppet it ragging a car up and down a road somewhere. Although slightly less risk of confrontation in Scotland.
    Last edited by Singlespeed; 09-19-2020 at 15:43.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider
    There’s a very active Facebook group, Wild Camping UK, which shows plenty are doing it in England and Wales (I understand Scotland has similar right to roam rights as here in Sweden).

It's one of those catch-22 situations: there's "no demand" so nothing's provided, because nothing's provided no-one thinks about doing it, i.e. no demand. There isn't a hammocking "culture" here so no-one thinks to cater for it.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    It's certainly easier and probably legally safer for a land/forest owner to say no camping.
    If they say its allowed, they will undoubtedly get more idiots chopping down trees and setting fires.
    Then where do they stand if a branch falls on someone... Should they be expected to clear any and all potential widow makers to mitigate peoples poor awareness?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12