Has anyone tried the "thru-hiker complete package" that Dutch has on closeout?

If so, what was your experience with them?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I have the hammock and net, but not the set with the tarp. I’ve only lounged in the hammock, but I loaned it out to a friend a few weeks ago, who found it quite comfortable overnight, and ordered one after the trip. I’m planning to take it backpacking in a few weeks, as it weighs quite a bit less than my SLD double-layer hammock. I did add continuous loops at the ends, so that I could remove the straps and buckles to pack separately (the buckle attaches to a strap threaded through the end).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    I have the hammock and net, but not the set with the tarp. I’ve only lounged in the hammock, but I loaned it out to a friend a few weeks ago, who found it quite comfortable overnight, and ordered one after the trip. I’m planning to take it backpacking in a few weeks, as it weighs quite a bit less than my SLD double-layer hammock. I did add continuous loops at the ends, so that I could remove the straps and buckles to pack separately (the buckle attaches to a strap threaded through the end).

Thanks. What would be your guess on the fabric weight? Something like a generic 1.9 ripstop?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I don’t know fabrics well enough to identify it by feel; it feels more like my 12’ Dutchware netless than my SLD. The hammock and bug net together in the hammock stuff sack (they just fit, with the straps separated to a separate bag), came out to 600 grams on my little digital scale. The copy on Dutchware site for the whole package rates it to 300 lbs, fwiw.

Great. Thanks.

So, I bought a couple of these and wanted to share some information that I couldn't seem to find beforehand. In case anybody is on the fence, maybe this helps them decide.

I can't speak to the fabric types specifically, but the hammock seems noticeably thinner than the generic Joanne Fabrics ripstop (1.9 oz?) that I made my current 11' hammock out of.

On my scale, the "as shipped" weights for the individual items in their stuff sacks are as follows:

Bug net- 212g
    Hammock and suspension- 685g
    Tarp and stakes- 562g

I haven't had a chance to build a new, lighter suspension yet, but I did strip the hammock and weigh it, in the stuff sack, with none of the included suspension.

Bare Hammock w/ stuff sack- 318g

The physical dimensions of the hammock itself seem to line up with those on the Dutch site. Haven't had a chance to measure the tarp, nor set any of it up yet.

The branding on them is "Thru-Hiker Hammocks." I can find nothing about this brand online.

So far, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase, and it looks like I'll save about a pound over my current set up. Gotta love that.

• + New Posts