Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Absolutely. I just got a new tarp/folding door tent and I love it! The seer delight faded as I tried to cram it into the provided double-ended stuff sack. Great idea and it does work as long as no significant amounts of dust have accumulated on the tarp because this thing BARELY fits with significant 50 clowns in a Volkswagen bug sort of effort.

Amen brother!

Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    It does fit in but it takes forever and it's not a stuff sack either. Zips up and you gotta fold it juuuust right..
    That is a great point. I have a lot of stuff that has to be folded just right, not in half and half again, but thirds or quarters, to be the right size, otherwise it is in there loose sticking half way out!

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    I use dry bags, get one to easily get whatever I’m trying to store into, then use it as a compression sack with expelling the air. Modern dry bags are getting pretty thin not like the old Seal lines, not so clunky.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ... I always replace with reasonable sized sacks so that packing up is much quicker and less frustrating. Or, skip the stuff sacks by stuffing most stuff inside my giant stuff sack otherwise known as my pack.
    +1 on the single, giant stuff sack!

When backpacking, the only thing I use stuff sacks for are suspension and stakes (to keep the mud/sap/etc. off my other stuff) and for tiny items I want to keep together (like my first aid kit). These few "stuff sacks" I use are simply ziploc bags ... cheap, easy to replace, extremely lightweight, water resistant, and I can see what's inside.

All the big compressible stuff that most folks use stuff sacks for like hammock, UQ, TQ, clothing layers, etc. just goes loose into my pack and naturally compresses to available volume. To protect my bug net (when I take one), I fold it within my hammock so no mesh is exposed before I shove the whole thing in my pack (easy-peasy with an integrated net, a little more effort with my Fronkeys, but not really an issue). Tarp is in snake skins, true, but then I just shove it in to an outer mesh pocket with my rain jacket. If I take a pad at all, it's CCF, so it won't stuff anyway.

I am conscientious about where/how I pack the very few sharp and pointy items I must carry, but I've never had any issues with damage to my hammock or quilts.

At home, everything is stored uncompressed in plastic totes or large blanket/duvet bags or similar. Bottom line is that virtually every original stuff sack that came with every original purchase is sitting in a box collecting dust or has been repurposed around the house.

What works for me wouldn't work for all, but hey, that's what it's all about, right?! HYOH!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Fellow Amok owner here, absofreekinglutely on the miss-sized stuff sacks from Amok, it does do back in, but with too much effort IMO. I usually don't carry the Amok because of the bulk and weight, but I do enjoy the Amok experience.

I usually use an oversized stuffsack that receives the hammock, both quilts and doesn't create a tight package. it makes for easy packing and conforms nicely to the pack. Like another poster, I usually do not have issues with the cottage gear but again I do not always use their stuff sacks. I do however use UGQ tarp stuff sacks without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDad View Post
    Am I going to complain about how many extra grams a stuff sack or two adds to your load? Nope, that's not it. Perhaps it's the occasional disappearing cinch-lock on a stuff sack? nope.

No, what I'm highly annoyed with is the continuing insistence by manufacturers of outdoor gear to provide with their product stuff sacks/gear bags that are exactly large enough for an Asian black belt in fold-fu to get the gear back INTO the bag in less than 1/2 hour. REI, bless their souls, recognized this problem some time in the early part of the century, and I've never had gear from them that took more than 25% more time to put back in the bag than it did to get it out of the bag.

My Amok Draumr XL, on the other hand... It took longer to get the blasted hammock back into it's stuff sack than it did to actually set the entire thing up, and that includes inflating the mattress. Oh, and then there's the mattress. Again, it took way longer to put it away than it did to set it up, but at least with an air mattress there's some obvious reason. Still, sizing the stuff sack for your air mattress so it's a snug fit when there is ZERO air in the mattress is absolutely idiotic. How many people are going to spend 10+ minutes chasing all the air out of an XL mattress?

Rolling the tree straps should take more time than anything else. It shouldn't be the fastest aspect of packing up.

Am I a lone crazy ranting in the wilderness, or is this a pain shared by others?
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have had a strategy to eliminate stuff sacks as much as possible, when possible. One that I think a lot of backpackers forego is the stuff sack for quilts or sleeping bags, opting instead for stuffing them into the bottom of the pack to fill open spaces. I ended up buying a Pod from Hyperlite Mountain Gear because I have one of their packs, and I was able to fit both the TQ and UQ in it.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Tiny stuff sacks suck. Although, I don't really use them much anyway. The only gear that goes in its own sack is my dyneema tarp (HG includes a spacious stuff sack), my cook kit, and a dyneema dry bag for my extra clothes. Everything else (hammock & Insulation) goes into a nylofume bag at the bottom of my pack.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I don't allow any sharps inside the main body of my pack. Base Layers, Beanie, Gloves, Fleecie, Sleep socks, go in RL gear sling. TQ, Down Jacket inside the hammock body, all stuffed into the inside compartment. No stuff sacks. Hammock makes a great big one rolled into itself.

Everything else goes into a mesh pocket(s) on the outside or in waist belt pockets for items I will need at hand. That leaves me with two small sacks for straps and stakes. I will not suffer stuffing things that don't need it in the first place, into bags specifically designed to frustrate me.

It's Jeremy's Bonefire system and I can't take credit for it, but it seems to want to work for me pretty well.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Tiny stuff sacks suck. Although, I don't really use them much anyway. The only gear that goes in its own sack is my dyneema tarp (HG includes a spacious stuff sack), my cook kit, and a dyneema dry bag for my extra clothes. Everything else (hammock & Insulation) goes into a nylofume bag at the bottom of my pack.
    Very similar here, except the pack itself is poly/DCF hybrid material (Arc Blast) so I also skip the Nylofume bag.

I have sometimes used a DCF dry bag for the few extra clothing items that I carry, although I find that a small plastic grocery bag is totally adequate the vast majority of the time. Now, I use the DCF dry bag mostly for food because it's waterproof (mostly!) and blocks odor somewhat... I don't really know about that — I'd have to ask the chippies.

I also like a stuff sack for the cook kit, just to keep everything together. I tried using a rubber band or bungee to accomplish the same thing by holding the lid on the pot but it didn't work too well. I might revisit that idea, however, and try something different.

Back when I was a groundling and used an air mat, I simply deflated it, folded it, and put it in the pack.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    If it doesn't fit, I make a DIY larger one out of surplus outlet $1.00 a yard nylon (doesen't need to be rip-stop) I'll throw down with any gram-weenie that wants to fight over 4 square inches of nylon!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast