Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My wife and I faced this same battle, too tight stuff sacks, a few years ago. Most of our gear now lives in larger stuff sacks that she made for us. The slack seems to facilitate packing, as they spread out into otherwise wasted space. In defense of the vendors and their sizing of sacks, there is a large segment of hikers/campers who are a bit paranoid about extra ounces.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    My wife and I faced this same battle, too tight stuff sacks, a few years ago. Most of our gear now lives in larger stuff sacks that she made for us. The slack seems to facilitate packing, as they spread out into otherwise wasted space. In defense of the vendors and their sizing of sacks, there is a large segment of hikers/campers who are a bit paranoid about extra ounces.
    Good point. I wish the vendors offered a choice of the current micro size stuff sack or one 25% bigger. Then their product could look nice and small when pictured against a Nalgene bottle but the rest of us would have a choice and not have to work up a sweat trying to jam it in the micro stuff sacks.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunderf
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Buckl
    I agree. I just purchased a Sea to Summit compression dry bag for my quilt but sized it so I could throw my sleep clothes and a liner in it. I also put my Thunderfly in a snake skin but also repurposed a Sawyer mesh net bag that came with the squeeze to put the whole fly in to hold the snake skin together. I have a one person tent that I never was able to get both the inner tent and fly back into the sack it came in. I just try to rotate the sacks around until I find something that fits.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If my gear is too big for the OEM stuff sack then I make one a little bigger for it. The most fun I had was trying to get my cuben tarps back into the tiny stuff sacks that they came with
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post

Maybe get a larger stuff for your Draumr? How big is the one they include?
    The Draumr uses an attached stuff sack, I am loathe to cut it off, so I'll probably just stuff it along with everything else. I have a passel of sacks I got a while back from Sierra Madre, I think I'll grab some of those and see what fits.

I am really, really liking the idea of a lazy slug for gathered end setups. I have a two-piece snakeskin for my tarp.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I agree with all above observations. Worse yet..I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to stuff sacks and ditty bags, trail wallets and the sort.

So much so, I declared it a personal vice. I do still carry a strap bag and stake sack, but that is real close to being it in the future. The Slug sack is a nice option. I really like them..but once again..stuff sack
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I hear you brother.

My personal candidate for the most ridiculous undersized stuff sack goes to....wait for it.....drum roll....Exped inflatable pad stuff sacks.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I’ve bought a number of ALPS Mountaineering compression sacks over the years, replacing overly tight or otherwise annoying sleeping back stuff sacks, especially. They actually come in mesh drawstring bags, and I think I’ve actually gotten almost as much use out of those as the compression sacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    I totally understand what you're saying there. That said, my hammock adventure has actually been really quite good in this regard.

The Coleman tent we use is of the kind you describe. There's no way all of its components will fit in the bag ever again. Not a stuff sack either, zips up and you gotta fold and roll it just right so that at least the tent and rainfly fit in. Forget the poles though - never gonna happen. I've had sleeping bags that were like this and other tents.

Since I've embarked on this hammocking journey however, everything is easily fitting back in its stuff sacks, except for the cheapo Amazon tarp. It does fit in but it takes forever and it's not a stuff sack either. Zips up and you gotta fold it juuuust right.

WBB XLC: easily fits back in its stuff sack, including the webbing suspension with room to spare!
    SLD Trail Winder underquilt: fits easily into the stuff sack and I got the compression stuff sack with it as well, which it fits in really well and it compresses nicely too. Really happy with Jared's product there.
    Teton Sports self inflating pillow, sit pad and sleeping bag: easily fit in their bags/stuff sacks. No issues whatsoever.
    Last edited by arutha; 09-15-2020 at 17:24.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Personally, I enjoy a sprained thumb~~~~
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven