HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Up close look at the Khione SHEL insulated sock....

Here it is guys, the SHEL. My curiosity got the best of me and I picked this one up off of eBay for pretty cheap. Mine definitely won't be water proof and it got pretty stuffy after about 30mins on a 68° low humidity & windy afternoon. So, is there a place for something like this at all? They are in the process of prototyping a SHEL 2.0 so maybe the design flaws will be corrected and it will be a viable option? We shall see. Until then, here's an up CLOSE look at the SHEL.

Last edited by Chesapeake; 09-15-2020 at 16:10.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As I understand it, the difficulty in cold weather is not so much warmth as it is the challenge of condensation. You need to balance the heat robbing air flow with just enough circulation to minimize the build up of frost on the inside. If the insulation on the SHEL is that good, it won’t be light and it won’t pack down much. But as cold weather extreme camping in winter usually means hauling gear in snow pulks, the weight might not be an issue. Seems like an item that would get little use - because it’s sort of for extreme conditions. I often use a lighter nylon sock at home in order to block out a street light and a neighbor's interior lights (that they keep on until about 2 am - a different issue).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    As I understand it, the difficulty in cold weather is not so much warmth as it is the challenge of condensation. You need to balance the heat robbing air flow with just enough circulation to minimize the build up of frost on the inside. If the insulation on the SHEL is that good, it won’t be light and it won’t pack down much. But as cold weather extreme camping in winter usually means hauling gear in snow pulks, the weight might not be an issue. Seems like an item that would get little use - because it’s sort of for extreme conditions. I often use a lighter nylon sock at home in order to block out a street light and a neighbor's interior lights (that they keep on until about 2 am - a different issue).
    I think your absolutely right. I felt zero air flow with the windows closed so condensation will absolutely be an issue when it gets colder. It will be interesting to see if it can be useful at all, how it does when adding additional insulation to take it to lower temps and if condensation can be at least minimized. I use either a Warbonnet sock or a winter cover quite a bit as well and have gotten pretty good at reducing interior frost build up. The lack of seam sealing and a waterproof zipper also kinda baffle me.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts