Hammock
    Kammok Roo UL
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli UL

Feathered Friends Flicker as underquilt?

Hello! I have a FF Flicker quilt that I'm looking to use as an underquilt. This review (https://sectionhiker.com/feathered-f...-sleeping-bag/) suggests that all I need is "2 x 80″ packs of Gear-Aid elastic cord and a pair of Nite-ize #2 S-biners" to pass through the quilt's webbing loops. Has anyone done this and could offer any advice? Cheers!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have/had several FF bags and love them. They are top quality and my favorite over the Western Mountaineering bags I have/had. As such they are not inexpensive. Too expensive in my opinion to use for a UQ. A TQ sure, but I would think you would be better served to spend the money on a dedicated UQ from a reputable UQ maker. Personally, I have let the TQ hype pass me by, preferring to use a good sleeping bag in TQ mode. I do like the FF flicker, but I'm determined to be content with the versatility of what I have.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo UL
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli UL
    Thanks for the reply! I already own the FF quilt and use it alone for ground camping, so I was trying to see if it would be a viable versatile use to have it also be my UQ, instead of buying a dedicated UQ, and then use a sleeping bag I already own as top insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Too expensive in my opinion to use for a UQ. A TQ sure
    Is it widely accepted that it's better to spend $$ on a UQ rather than TQ? Why would that be? (New to hammock camping, sorry!)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Is it widely accepted that it's better to spend $$ on a UQ rather than TQ? Why would that be? (New to hammock camping, sorry!)
    Look at it this way. Do you change your bed's mattress based on how cold it is or do you change the blankets ? Get a good UQ. A 20 degree rated UQ is good for most folks for year round. If you order a custom one from the vendors here on the forum, spend a few extra $$'s and get 2 to 3 ounces of overstuff.

If you are backpacking then a 3/4 length UQ is the way to go as it will save some weight, cost less and pack smaller. If it is real cold I just throw my jacket down at the foot end of the hammock to put my feet on the jacket to keep them warm.

If you are car camping then you could go with a Full Length UQ for full coverage. Will cost more, weigh more and take up more space. I have on FL 0 degree UQ and I have used it 2 times in 10 years.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I own two Flickers, a 40 and a 20, and I have used the 20 as an UQ with shock cord and S-biners. It worked fine for me until I upgraded to a Trail Winder UQ from Simply Light Designs. The Flicker's loops are pretty thin- I still do use it as a backup (currently use it as my TQ) but I feel like it might be possible for them to tear. Purpose built UQs will have stronger reinforcement/loops. Also at some point I had the thing too tight, maybe from going at a wide diagonal angle, and some down has started poking through along. The horizontal seams on one end. Can't really fix that and it's a bummer but not a critical failure, just be careful. Might have happened when I accidentally missed the hammock sitting down and came down fast on the ground on top of the Flicker. Additionally the sides come up a ton, making it much more of a taco than with the Trail Winder. It definitely works as a stopgap though. I say go ahead and maybe you'll decide to get another UQ but it's definitely a viable option at least as a stopgap.

Edit- should also note I called Feathered Friends to see if they'd reinforce the loops for me. They said the loops were added mostly as an afterthought. They said I could reinforce them myself and I wouldn't lose the warranty for the whole bag, they just wouldn't cover whatever it was I modified if I messed it up.
    Last edited by bearito; 09-11-2020 at 14:59.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I use a 20* UQ year around (unless I am were it might suddenly become dangerously cold) II manipulate the warmth factor by what is on top of me, the same as I do my bedding at home. Less sleepwear and maybe only a sheet in warm weather, zero degree down quilt when it is cold, along with something to cover my head and hands.

My top covering varies, not my underlay.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo UL
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli UL
    Thanks gunner76, bearito, and IRONFISH45 for the advice! I'm going to get a 3/4 length dedicated UQ as you've advised and then vary my top quilt/insulation based on the temperature.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by sabernet View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I already own the FF quilt and use it alone for ground camping, so I was trying to see if it would be a viable versatile use to have it also be my UQ, instead of buying a dedicated UQ, and then use a sleeping bag I already own as top insulation.

Personally, I think it is wiser to spend $$ on a UQ that is specifically designed to be a UQ. It is simpler to install, made to install as a UQ, and thus, should function substantially better than a make shift UQ. As for TQ, many options will work from comforters, a variety of sleeping bags, as well as TQs.

• + New Posts