Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch

Question Sewing Machine Recommendations?

My apologies if this is the wrong spot for this post. I'm looking to start making some of my own gear. I have experience with hand sewing small objects and have done a bit of reading on making your own gear. There are so many sewing machines out there that I don't know where to begin! I would very much appreciate any recommendations on what machines and/or other tools you all are using to sew hammocks, tarps, ditty bags, backpacks, what-have-you.

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    I have a Janome JW8100 I purchased over two years ago. It's been a workhorse and has way more stitch options than I'll ever need.

Hammock
    Armchair Hammock
    Insulation
    Pad and Down Bag
    Suspension
    Web and Toggle
    Images
    There are so many good brands I'll let others guide you but I do have a recommendation about options and accessories. If you don't splurge and get a walking foot machine (most are commercial grade) get the walking foot attachment ($20?). It helps so much with light thin fabrics. A quilting machine is also nice as it has a greater clearance when you lift the presser foot. Don't be enamored by the number of stitches. You'll only use a few. And lastly, IMHO, weight matters... a machine that is heavy either has heavy parts or a heavy motor or both. These are a good things. I've gone through a few sewing machines and I also have a Janome mounted in a sewing cabinet I found at goodwill and refinished. If you're getting a machine second hand test them as repair will cost a lot $100+. There are so many good used machines out there. Just try to get one that suffered from owners lack of interest rather than their passing on a problem. Good luck!
    Armchair Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Large - Hang Small

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If you need to learn how to use your sewing machine then check your local community college to see if they offer sewing classes. Might be under adult education classes. I was the first male to take sewing classes at my community college. Instructor apologized as she thought my signing up was a mistake and told me she only had girly fabrics for the class to use. Told her not a problem and pulled out a bunch of Camo fabric.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY 0* HG 0*
    Suspension
    Hg daisy chain
    The walking foot is a must have. I have a brother PQ 1500s and it has a longer arm on it. It’s a high speed machine, which is a step below industrial, and it works great on hammock fabrics. If you get a singer cheapo make sure you read the reviews first, Some of them are horrible. Older sewing machines are pretty good, they have metal gears and last longer and will go through thicker materials as well as thin. Most importantly use the correct needle. The wrong needle will make you go insane.

Everyone has already given such great advice, but I'll just toss out a couple of extra tidbits. My wife loves her Singer 4423 Heavy Duty, and it's what I use on the rare occasions I get up the courage to make something. It has way more stitches and options than I know how to use; for hammocks and such all I've ever used is a straight stitch. One accessory that made a huge difference in sewing the light slippery hammock fabrics was a teflon foot - highly recommended.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I've used a Singer heavy duty 4432 for several years.

Got it from a national fabric store locally for around $200. It has a few more features than the 4423, which I had first, and also is excellent.
    While this machine is going to be scoffed at and dispariged by some HF members, it has survived years of both success, and failures, including jamb ups and birds nests worthy of the largest raptors.
    Bent or broken needles, I thought it was damaged many times. It has never gotten out of adjustment. Many times I thought it was damaged as I tried to recover from some self inflicted mishap, and it proved to be truly "heavy duty".
    It's electronic sense of power to stitch force is a great feature, and metal gearing and parts more than strong and durable so far. They both have seen many down quilts, from ultra fine sil taffeta to cordura items and layers of strapping.
    My only complaint is that the 'reverse' lever won't lock, it has to be held down, and sometimes I need both hands to guide with out having to use one hand to hold the lever. I will make some kind of a solution some day. It's clearance between the needle and frame is a little skimpy too.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=singer+44...l_6x2b2ndp8k_e
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I've noticed that I don't see very many used sewing machines since the pandemic so you may need to buy new. I'd suggest checking with the sewing machine repair places in your area though because they sometimes have reconditioned machines for sale and they are in good condition and you won't need to service them. You might also query your friends/parents/etc. if they have a machine they're not using.

I have several and my favorite is a Janome but if I was looking for a starter machine I think I'd look for a Brother (if not buying used). As said above, walking foot is awesome and types of stitches really only need straight and zigzag.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    For excellent instruction on sewing these difficult fabrics, be sure to check out HF member Jellyfish's videos.

Also, for what HF members are using, be sure to see this thread!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 3S
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you're considering purchasing a new machine, try to get one from a local shop or dealer - somewhere that can offer service and repairs. They may also offer a free sewing class to get you up and going.

• + New Posts