DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    CDT UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

My state (OR) is on fire. Can I barrow yours, WA?

So, Oregon is having some of the nastiest forest fires Ive seen in 34 years of living here. The entire sky is literally red/ orange over my house - clearly this is the apocalypse we've all come to expect from 2020. I live west of Portland and had a trip planned for Waldo Lake in a couple days. That means driving dirrectly through the affected areas which have all kinds of closed hwy's, not to mention it just isn't safe. Coastal towns are being evacuated due to air quality, so going west is no longer an option. I guess I'm looking at heading north!

Anyone want to share any cool spots for a 3 day backpacking trip in SW or central WA? I've camped ALL over Oregon and for some unknown reason, I haven't really checked out WA. Usually, I'd just spend a couple days looking up stuff on the internet, but I don't know the first thing about WA's back country (as far as trail heads and cool areas are concerned.) Is anybody willing to share some fun 2-3 day hikes? I'm more of a camper than a hiker so I am really only interested in putting 5-7 miles a day. If you don't want to out your favorite spot(s) on the internet, I totally get that... maybe just shoot me a PM, I can keep a secret

RIP Opal Creek Wilderness. There is a hike that has been on my bucket list for several years that has been devoured by forest fires over the last week.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    There was a recent post on Goat Rocks (WA), which sits between Mt Adams and Mt Rainer. Definitely worth checking out. I was just up there for a couple days. Monday was smokey in the area but Tue and Wed were clear as could be hoped.
    Glad I got my hike in on the Mt Hood NF - I see they closed that.

Images
    Washington is packed with trails. Be Sure to get lorain’s book One Night Wilderness: Portland. It has dozens of places about the length you are looking for. Worth every penny and most of my trip planning comes from it.

Try Packwood Lake and coyote Ridge in the goat rocks region if you want something similar to Waldo Lake. This region has miles of other trails you explore as well. I also recommend Green Mountain loop to Deadman’s Lake just north of St Helens.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    TQ-GoLite UQ-Loco
    The last I heard was that access to public lands is closed in WA and OR. I know that Weyerhaeuser and Fiber have also closed their lands. Check the area you are going to before you leave. I have never needed to go camping bad enough to be in the vicinity of a fire and to have the possibility of accidentally starting one.

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    It's open; hasn't been closed that we're aware of. I'm sure the forest "service" people would rather keep us out, but that's too bad. Trailheads, from what I've read, are really crowded, with no parking thanks to all the West siders fleeing the area. At least that's what the paper said. I'd take a serious look at Kettle Ridge area near Republic.

• + New Posts