Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Tarps in bad weather...ie the wind shifted and rain is blowing into my hammock.

Ok I’m new at this. So I’m looking for ideas for when hammocking with a tarp w/o doors. So you set up according to wind direction and the wind/storm shifts direction and Here it comes down the pipe. Any ideas that you have done on blocking the wind/rain?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Here in the Northeast, especially the coastal areas and mountains, the wind is constantly shifting. I quickly found that a tarp without doors was inadequate. I've been using a winter tarp with doors (HG Winter Palace) for the last eight years and have never gotten wet.

Some disciples of site selection claim they can find a hill or bushes or something to block the wind, but I don't know where they camp. I certainly haven't ever found site selection to be much more than a myth. And I don't buy into the idea that one can "hunker down" the tarp really low, and that will protect you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    So far that hasn't been a problem for me, but with my rectangular tarp's 4 guy lines per side I could probably close down an open side. Aside from that Warbonnet & 2QZQ both sell end doors/enclosures.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    you can do those things, but you're your gear is probably still going to get hit with spray at the least. even with doors, it's probably going to happen. usually not unless it's really blowing though. for me it's at least a few times a season. people invented the underquilt protector for that situation though. I don't have one, though, and it hasn't killed me yet most of the time I don't get wet enough for it to bother me, and you'll probably get just as wet from the morning mist anyway, which nothing can prevent.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You can try to hang your pack off the end getting the wind. That might help block some of the rain coming in.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I’ve used my raincoat on an end before. It worked fairly well in the emergency.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Keep your tarp low and tight to the ground. You already have trees on each end. If weather starts coming in one end or the other, try moving the tarp on that end as close to the tree as you can get it and slide the hammock as far to the other end as possible w/o putting it out in the weather.

Your poncho, rain jacket, or even a garbage sack, can serve as makeshift doors or beaks. You can punch a small hole in one corner of a garbage sack, feed hammock suspension through it and you have a pretty good end cover for a vulnerable end of your kit.

Real Doors on both ends have their purpose for certain. If I'm heading out into 3-4 days of heavy or extremely cold weather fine, but usually I am planning for contingencies when I make most my trips. I already carry the other things with me. If I can't make it work and/or I feel it might be putting me in jeopardy, I'll just head back to the car and the warm dry cloths I know are waiting on me.

Of course with all that saying, the only way you know how your kit and you will handle the weather is to get out in it. So while I may not head out into a 3 day deluge, posing thunderstorms a night or too, shouldn't keep the wandering spirit at home by any means. On top of that. Every once and a while, more often than not actually, you do get set up just right for a storm. You can lower one side. run a tarp pull or two, and keep the other side pretty much in porch mode. Then its better than fine and doesn't really matter how much it rains. The harder the betting in fact
    Signature suspended

I carry an umbrella, and it is really handy for closing off one end of a hammock. But doors are the gold standard.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Depending on the shape of your tarp & tieouts... reluctantly leave your warm comfy confines, crisscross the windward end's tie lines, temporarily closing that end of the tarp. That's all I do.

Gets rid of the wind & rains funneling effect...when the wind direction changes again, open back up.
    Last edited by ofuros; 09-10-2020 at 19:47.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Because your question was about a tarp without doors - you could 1) add an undequilt protector to your kit. 2) be prepared to reorient your tarp. The other suggestions are standard storm rigging ideas - guy it lower to the ground. You could also experiment with a non-level ridgeline. Like setup with the end facing the wind lower than the other end.

That assumes you are setup parallel to the wind rather than broadside. That’s how I do it for now; it presents the smallest surface area to the wind and gets some blockage from the trees used for the suspension. I can imagine the wind shifting but it seems unusual it would have a sustained 360 degree change. If it looks like a mostly permanent shift, and you live where this happens often. I’m guessing you’ll want to plan your location so you have the trees/directions, to quickly “reset”. Sure, it’s a pain. But better a short term inconvenience than an all night long worry.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast