Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Lightbulb HG hammock too cover

I started this thread : https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rsal-top-cover the other day in the weather protection forum, but wanted to have it here as well since it works with the HG hammock. I believe HG could take this design, and using their materials and craftsmanship, make an add on top cover that would fit even better than this one AND be much more durable. The Ridge Outdoors cover is nice, but it's a $25 product and mass produced overseas. This fact is definitely noticeable when looking at the thin & almost delicate material used for the end attachment loops and ribbon that's sewn around the edge. Also, the stitching is strong but only single stitched throughout and even in areas that see stress like where the toggles and end loops are attached. Again, this is to be expected in a $25 product so I'm not really knocking it, more pointing out a few areas where HG could really put their touch on it and end up with something that's worthy of a HG tag. The Ridge Outdoors cover is also only offered in one color and fabric. HG could produce a " stock " version like that as well as a " custom " that offers different color or fabric combos. Having an optional top cover is the only thing that I feel is missing from HG's hammock and would have limited its usefulness in colder weather for me had I not found this universal cover. Since I got my HG hammock I've used it waaaaaay more than my Chameleon and XLC. Now that I have a winter cover for it as well, I'll be able to use it in situations where I might have previously went with the other two.

So yeah, this cover is far from the quality that you'd expect from a cottage manufacturer, but with some small changes it would definitely be worth spending $50 on for sure. So what do you think HG, using a design like this would you ever consider producing an optional cover? I think it would sell quite well..... Just look at how many of your competitors hammocks have covers and how many people spend extra money for that option. Either way though, I'm happy I can now use my favorite hammock year round!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I started this thread : https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rsal-top-cover the other day in the weather protection forum, but wanted to have it here as well since it works with the HG hammock. I believe HG could take this design, and using their materials and craftsmanship, make an add on top cover that would fit even better than this one AND be much more durable. The Ridge Outdoors cover is nice, but it's a $25 product and mass produced overseas. This fact is definitely noticeable when looking at the thin & almost delicate material used for the end attachment loops and ribbon that's sewn around the edge. Also, the stitching is strong but only single stitched throughout and even in areas that see stress like where the toggles and end loops are attached. Again, this is to be expected in a $25 product so I'm not really knocking it, more pointing out a few areas where HG could really put their touch on it and end up with something that's worthy of a HG tag. The Ridge Outdoors cover is also only offered in one color and fabric. HG could produce a " stock " version like that as well as a " custom " that offers different color or fabric combos. Having an optional top cover is the only thing that I feel is missing from HG's hammock and would have limited its usefulness in colder weather for me had I not found this universal cover. Since I got my HG hammock I've used it waaaaaay more than my Chameleon and XLC. Now that I have a winter cover for it as well, I'll be able to use it in situations where I might have previously went with the other two.

So yeah, this cover is far from the quality that you'd expect from a cottage manufacturer, but with some small changes it would definitely be worth spending $50 on for sure. So what do you think HG, using a design like this would you ever consider producing an optional cover? I think it would sell quite well..... Just look at how many of your competitors hammocks have covers and how many people spend extra money for that option. Either way though, I'm happy I can now use my favorite hammock year round!
    Thanks so much as always Chesapeake! We'll definitely take a look at this
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisnakh View Post
    Thanks so much as always Chesapeake! We'll definitely take a look at this
    No problem. The only places that don't work perfectly are the first pack hooks closest to the ends on each side. The toggles on the cover are fairly large, while the pack hooks are attached to your hammock with very small loops of material. The Ridge Outdoors hammock that the cover is designed for has pack hooks in the same location as your hammock but they use loops that are the same size as the ones that contain the D rings, this allows the toggle to easily slip through on their hammock while it can't on yours. This is fixed by just adding a small sing it loop on your hammock for the toggles to pass throug. The rest of the toggle attachment points line up PERFECTLY and the toggles easily go through the D ring loops. ALso, your hammock has more attachment points than the cover does toggles, so more could be added to hold the cover down tighter if you guys ever made one. I will have a video up later that shows how well it fits and what it looks like on my HG hammock. You guys could definitely improve on the design and materials used to make it even better for sure.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    No problem. The only places that don't work perfectly are the first pack hooks closest to the ends on each side. The toggles on the cover are fairly large, while the pack hooks are attached to your hammock with very small loops of material. The Ridge Outdoors hammock that the cover is designed for has pack hooks in the same location as your hammock but they use loops that are the same size as the ones that contain the D rings, this allows the toggle to easily slip through on their hammock while it can't on yours. This is fixed by just adding a small sing it loop on your hammock for the toggles to pass throug. The rest of the toggle attachment points line up PERFECTLY and the toggles easily go through the D ring loops. ALso, your hammock has more attachment points than the cover does toggles, so more could be added to hold the cover down tighter if you guys ever made one. I will have a video up later that shows how well it fits and what it looks like on my HG hammock. You guys could definitely improve on the design and materials used to make it even better for sure.
    So cool! I'm passing this along to our team. As. We. Speak.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    So cool! I'm passing this along to our team. As. We. Speak.
    Awewome! I'm glad I took a chance on this thing fitting and honestly thought it would only kinda work and I would need to modify it. If I can answer any questions definitely let me know!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here are some pics of the cover on my HG hammock. The vid should be up as soon as it uploads to Youtube...

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's my video

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Lightbulb

Here are some better pics with the hammock pulled out better..

And inside....

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sweet! Thanks for all the extra info!
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Sweet! Thanks for all the extra info!
    No problem. It definitely works better when the pull outs are configured how they are in the pic I posted later on, as opposed to the first set of pics. I definitely think that with a few small tweaks like wider trim material, grossgrain loops on the ends vs the noseeum Ridge uses, double stitching at stress points, adding a toggle to connect to the D ring that is unused when using the Ridge version, and having a loop that the pack hooks go through at the ends vs the toggle on the Ridge cover, plus making it in different colors, it could definitely be a $50 - $60 add-on. I know I'd buy one since it would fit even better than this one AND be in a color other than gray, lol. You guys HAVE to make this now! HAHAHAha

• + New Posts