We hit our final straw with tent/pad backpacking, so I splurged on an entire dual hammock setup.

The package:

* (2) Halfnet hammocks from Dutchware, a 1.6 Hexon for me and a 1.0 for my fiance, with beetle buckle straps

* 32" spreader bar from Dutchware

* 12ft Journey tarp from Hammock Gear

* (2) 54" carbon fiber pole sets for tarp pull outs (makes it much more roomy!)

* (2) DIY Gemini Costco quilts

We frequently go on one night backpacking trips and every time we lament how uncomfortable sleeping pads are and how frustrating it is to find a flat, dry spot in the Appalachians to pitch a tent. A month ago we did our first 2 night trip and sleeping was just miserable. On the second night we basically dreaded going to sleep even though we were dead tired, because we knew our sleep quality would be abysmal.

We got to test these bad boys out last night and HOLY COW, it is so much better. It's just straight up comfortable. With a pad I am constantly rotating, spinning, sliding, moving trying to find a comfortable spot, and since ours are insulated it crinkles the entire **** time. With the hammock I switched between two comfy spots, never hunting for a good one, never getting tangled in my sleeping bag.

The motion transfer between the spreader bar is a little annoying, but not near as annoying as my partner flopping around on what sounds like a potato chip bag all night.

I'm surprised by how necessary the underquilt is in the summer. It dipped into the 60s and when my underquilt slipped off I knew almost immediately, waking up with a chill.

Picture: https://i.imgur.com/I7BAava.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Congrats on jumping in with both feet first, you have an excellent starter setup! Insulation is the key to comfort while hanging. A friend of mine just returned from a hang trip in Alaska. Thinking he would be fine in temps down into the 40’sF using his usual Louisiana setup of just a sleeping bag, he’s fully convinced of the need for proper quilts!

My family still likes to sleep in a tent, but I just can’t! As much as I’d like to sleep alongside my wife and kids, I will hang my hammock close to the tent. It feels a bit strange as if I’m deserting them, but I wake up before them fully refreshed with the fire stoked and breakfast ready as they are rolling out of the tent looking like they’ve been fighting with ground all night. Hahaha! As young toddlers, my kids enjoyed sleeping tandem in a hammock next to me, but lately they feel safer in a tent. Though they have been asking for new hammocks to go camping with daddy. ��
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    You did it the right way- bringing the honey along right from the beginning. It’s so nice that you have a hiking/camping buddy. And now that everyone is sleeping better, everyone is happier!

Charlotte

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Ditto what Charlotte said...happy wife happy life !
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts