Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Cold weather question

As I lay here on a beautiful Labor Day afternoon my thoughts drift to the cold weather hammocking coming up. I enjoy being outdoors and camping year round and my coldest temp sleeping in my hammock is 15° which I hope to better this winter. I think I've read that having a bug net on the hammock will help block the wind some making the environment inside the hammock easier to keep warm when it is cold. I started wondering if having a smaller area, say by using a 10 foot hammock vs. an 11 foot, both with an enclosed bug net would stay warmer all else being equal. Then I got to wondering what if they had top covers on. It seems like your body heat would warm up a smaller area better than a large one. Let's say I'm using a 4-season tarp with doors closed so wind isn't a factor. What do you think, would I stay a little bit warmer in a shorter hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    A bug net does keep things more stable, with less of the condensation I’ve encountered with top covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My all-time low is a bit lower than yours: -3* F. However, I had another night that was -1* F with 30 mph winds and a -30* windchill.

What I have found is that condensation becomes a real issue once you get below 20* F. Bugnets and topcovers make it worse. It really has to be below 5* F for me to consider a topcover.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I always use a bug net for bugs and or a wind block but I've also awaken to a mini snow storm when it's below freezing and the moisture of your breath has condensed on the bug net. Not that big of a deal but something to be aware of. I've tried other "socks" and it's just simply too wet in the south for these devices in my opinion. To me 98% of your warmth needs to come from your quits. The other 2% from the cloths you have on. So count on your quilts to keep you warm is my advice.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Not to put too technical a point on it but I think it’s important to keep in mind that 100% of the warmth comes from you. The TQ may help you keep it, but there is no heat generation properties that I know of in down/nylon itself. So you have to make the heat first and that’s done by your meal choices and “warrior” attitude. With respect to shorter = less area = warmer, I’d suggest that might be looking at the wrong emphasis. If your body is comfortable it will probably be more willing to relax, not tighten up, let the blood flow around distributing warmth. So have a good evening meal, use an 11 ft hammock, instead of 10 ft, if that gives you the most comfort. And actively realize that you have to make the heat.

I find a 10 degree margin in temparature works fine. So my 40 degree quilts are used down to the high 40’s - a little lower if I have warm pj’s - and below that - like in the 30’s and low 40’s I use the 20 degree quilts.

If I had to pick only one set, the 20 degree quilts would probably handle most my year round needs - clearly warmer than needed in the summer but they could be vented - or just a light pad (reflex it) in the UQP on hot summer nights.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Cold weather question

This is mostly an academic exercise. I have experienced condensation and getting snowed on in the morning but during the winter my trips tend to be just one overnight so that doesn't concern me too much. My wife got me a set of 0° quilts in January so that should take me down about as cold as I'd care to try. I have an 10' Blackbird and an 11' Raven and was wondering if one might be a little warmer than the other. I also have a netless Appalachian hammock and I really enjoyed the open feeling of sleeping in that one before mosquito season hit.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Fresh snow today just up off the valley bottom. Down to 27 tonight, so I expect to see snow on the ground tonight. Proverbial equinox storm a tad early this year.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Cold weather question

OlTrailDog - Now that's what I'm talking about! Not sure what kind of weather we'll get in MA this year. Last winter was very mild. Had to go up to Vermont for work to find snow but my work travel is shut down this year.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch Buckle
    I like a top cover, however I have found that when it gets into the teens the condensation starts happening. I started sleeping with my head out and the rest of my body under the top cover. That has fixed all condensation issues for me because all my breath stays outside the top cover and off my quilts as well. I'm working towards ditching the top cover but it's pretty cozy and keeps everything in the hammock.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    I went away from top covers because the condensation was not worth the temperature gain. To me, it's all about your UQ. That's the hands down biggest factor to staying warm. Air gaps are killer and if you don't have warm enough quilt then rather than buy another expensive winter quilt, just layer up with a Costco diamond quilt or the such. Puffy jacket, puffy pants, and puffy socks don't hurt either!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast