DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel

Heated UQ sling using electric heating pads

Here is a USB powered UQ heater I made. I got the usb carbon fiber heating pads (it has 5 in total per unit with heat settings) online for about $5 and used scrap material. The only thing the pictures do not show is a small 12v to usb converter in the pouch. The pouch stores the whole thing and hangs from the side with the battery. I also use a $35 Lifepo battery that I also use for other things, and I believe it will work better in the cold weather. The layers, outside to inside are camo argon 90, Climateshield 6 oz, small patches of reflective material from Grabber poncho, the carbon fiber heating pads and then some breathable Dutchware Ion. The carbon fiber pads and reflective material were sewn to the black Ion. This has four connection points and is like a mini UQ that I center on the lowest point of my hammock. I sewed it all together using a zig zag stitch and I even stitched down the wires in places. I know the lowest setting keeps me very warm at about 20 degrees with a 0 degree UQ, and I also know it would be much colder for me with out it. I do not have the gadget yet to measure the current draw, but it says I need at least a 2amp usb outlet, though that hopefully is just for the highest setting. I like it so far, and I can use it for other things like to heat an outdoor seat (ice fishing), or wrap it around me at the coldest parts of the day. Obviously not for hiking, but it works well for me for everything else. I just though I would share these ideas. Happy hammocking!

IMG_20200907_082243971.jpg

IMG_20200907_082200727.jpg

IMG_20200907_082223561.jpg

IMG_20200907_082206954.jpg

IMG_20200907_082341827.jpg

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Funny, I bought that same heater off of AliExpress. I was going to use a raspberry pi or similar to have the heater turn on for 30 seconds on and 2min off intervals to see if I could get the battery to last longer. Then you could use a smaller battery. I’ve got good down quilts but this just seemed like a fun experiment. Nice job on getting yours together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Let's hear how this works once it gets cold. At 32 degrees I would expect an Apex 6 quilt to be enough by itself. I think you're going to roast!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Hey brianb, while is was reading your post I was laying out some components for an automatic ice fishing box. Go figure. I built a couple a few years ago, but now I want to make ver 2 with LiPos, variable rate switch (potentiometer), and a strike light (micro pressure switch or leaf switch). My other jiggers have a jigging program of a minnow swimming every few seconds upward and then a drop to the bottom, but I could try to program lift/delay and then drop/delay, using a potentiometer for the delay, to literally turn on and off a mechanical switch to turn on and off the heating pads. Thank you for sharing your idea, it would save battery and make the temperature much more adjustable. I never got the potentiometer delay to work, so if you happen to know a place to find the code, that would be about all I need to figure out. I know very, very, little about coding and I am always amazed when my program works.

Thanks again!

IMG_20200912_090418627.jpg

• + New Posts