Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I have a SuperFly, Edge, MiniFly, and ThunderFly. If I'm not anticipating bad weather, the MiniFly has replaced the Edge as being my "go to" The Minifly is the same as the Edge, except it has beaks. The Warbonnet Edge was my 3 season tarp of choice for years and my hammock never got wet under it, even in stormy weather...BUT, I always WORRIED about those open ends...so the MiniFly was perfect for me...almost as small as the Edge, but with beaks to keep me from lying awake in the rain worrying about rain possibly blowing in at the ends! Nothing beats my Superfly in deep winter or anytime I'm with a group and want a private place to change clothes. The doors have never inconvenienced me...I just guy them shut with thin elastic cord running to the first ground stake on the opposite side and then they have enough give to separate when I want to step inside, no need to do any latching and unlatching of mitten hooks. (Also, I cut all my mitten hooks so that they don't close--so they are an open hook--makes them easier to handle with cold fingers! I've never had one accidentally slip off yet.)

All that said, my newer Thunderfly is quickly winning me over and may displace both the Superfly and the MiniFly as my favorite!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    All that said, my newer Thunderfly is quickly winning me over and may displace both the Superfly and the MiniFly as my favorite!
    It's a goodie! I'm kinda glad I tripped and tore mine so I had an excuse to get another in a "better" color. And without the panel pulls this time since those were just added weight/bulk/leak point. I would never use them.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    It's a goodie! I'm kinda glad I tripped and tore mine so I had an excuse to get another in a "better" color. And without the panel pulls this time since those were just added weight/bulk/leak point. I would never use them.
    I'm a bit partial to those panel pulls! I probably use mine (with Dutch's light, easy to pack, pole mods) at least half the time. I was delighted when I saw my Thunderfly had pull outs just like my SuperFly's. I've never had any leaks there or anywhere else on any of my WB tarps...but, I always do seam seal the pull outs before ever taking the tarp out in the field.

(I'm betting you could repair the one you tripped over, too, and have a back up. My daughter had one of my SuperFlys hung so that it rubbed against something all through a really windy night, wearing a hole in it. I just sealed the pencil-diameter-sized hole using a glob of seam seal and FUNCTIONALLY it has performed fine these past 6 or 7 years since. AESTHETICALLY it isn't pretty, but functionally it's fine. It probably would have looked NICER if I'd used clear Tenacious Tape, but I just went with what I had on hand.)

Maybe I could trip over the uglier of my two SuperFlys and get a MOUNTAINFLY...???!!! In a really nice color, of course! (Bushwhack!)
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-19-2021 at 15:43.

If you could only buy one, which one would it be?

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    mountainfly

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom-o View Post
    If you camp in Winter with winds and snow then Superfly. Great coverage.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That'd be like picking children!!!!

Start with the Superfly then get the MiniFly. Best of both worlds!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    If I was only allowed to keep one of my tarps (Edge, MiniFly, ThunderFly, Cloudburst, or SuperFly), I’d pick the SuperFly….even though it doesn’t get taken with me the most often. If I could only have one lone tarp to keep, it’d be the SuperFly because it can handle any season, any situation. Great for cold, WINDY conditions. Fine for mild conditions…just porch it out! Great for group hangs (provides more privacy than any of the others).

The SuperFly was my only tarp for years through all manner of trips and it never let me down. I really like my smaller tarps a lot because of the less pack space required and the more open vistas afforded (the Edge was my sweet spot there, then later the MiniFly!!)…but if I had to give up all but one, the SuperFly would be the one I keep.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-22-2021 at 18:15.

As someone trying to decide about a hammock set-up, these threads are very helpful. Curious, does the mini-fly come with 'beaks,' or does one choose beaks when purchasing. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As someone trying to decide about a hammock set-up, these threads are very helpful. Curious, does the mini-fly come with 'beaks,' or does one choose beaks when purchasing. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
    It includes little beaks at the end, and they're what make the tarp so great in my opinion. Well worth the money.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast