Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Pavel - thank you for that additional information. I'm on the fence about all that - MountianFly vs something like a Dutch Extra wide and 11 ft vs 13 ft to accommodate a RidgeRunner in style.
    I'd say that you should get one of each, plus the thunderfly. That way not only are you prepared for the zombie apocalypse but you can report back to us, so we don't overspend.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Have a ThunderFly. But everyone has their job to do. Someday I’ll use that Noah 16. No hurry, just starting to transition into fall. Night temps in the cool 30’s (F.).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I kinda went backwards...I started with a Thunderfly, then got a Superfly. During the last WB sale, I picked up a Mambajamba (mostly for a camp tarp/loaner). The Thunderfly is still my goto.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Still, it just depends and it's great to have both...or 4 tarps

I just got back from a 3-day trip with dad, this first ever backpacking trip at 70 years old. We had scattered rain one day where the sun comes out, then rains for 5 minutes, then sunny, then a few hours until the next rain. I took the Superfly because I knew we would need a dry spot to sit. I had my hammock obviously, but there's no use him lying in a small tent to avoid the rain (the main reason I got into hammocking 10 years ago).

I had the Superfly in porch mode with doors pulled out wide for additional dry space. We could have easily had 4 people under there. Plus our chairs with backs actually made it a lot of fun watching the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I have both a 13 superfly and a 12 mountainfly. I use the Mountainfly way more than the super. Plenty of coverage and quite a bit more manageable. And the 12’ mountainfly is more than enough coverage for a ridge runner. The beaks pretty much reach the ends of the dog bones. BTW the center mod is real nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone looking to buy a new tarp, this is a useful discussion!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    tom-o, Just remember, it’s all compromise. There is no, tarp that’s perfect for everything, and there is no rule that says you can only own just one tarp. However, there is economic reality.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    I'm somewhat opposite of others here. I started out with the Superfly years ago. Even though I've been tempted to buy a Mountainfly because it would be easier to duck under, it's not enough of a reason to justify my getting one and I know that I would miss the Superfly doors when it's raining sideways for hours in the Boundary Waters and up in Quetico Provincial Park. The Superfly is for me as close to perfect as I could want. When the weather is nice I clip the doors out of the way with mitten clips and then I have a hex tarp. When the weather is cold and crappy I deploy the doors and am snug as a bug in a rug. I canoe camp, so I'm not counting grams.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unshavenman View Post
    When the weather is cold and crappy I deploy the doors and am snug as a bug in a rug. I canoe camp, so I'm not counting grams.
    One winter trip I was just cold and tired. I set up the Superfly extra low so it was sort of like my hot tent. I ran the Jetboil without the pot for a minute to take the edge off. Man, cozy cozy cozy! I had to raise it later when setting up the hammock, but it sure was nice to cut all the wind and just sit there with a cup of coffee and listen to the punishment outside.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I personally went with the MiniFly and Superfly!

Minifly is my go to 3 season tarp. The beaks are great, if I know it'll be rainy I can pitch it pretty low and get good coverage. I've rode out some pretty hellacious Midwestern thunderstorms in the MiniFly and stayed perfectly dry.

Come winter when I'm trying to block as much wind as I can I use my Superfly and stay nice and warm.
    IMG_4791-scaled.jpg

If its REALLY cold and windy, I can pitch the Superfly right down almost to the ground. At that point with proper insulation I feel like I can ride out any blizzard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast