Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Mountain fly over Superfly

It was an agonizing decision, but I just put in an order for a custom mountain fly to pair with my eldorado. I really like the idea of ducking under the beaks and not having full doors to deal with the majority of the time, and of all the reviews I've read I've never seen anyone complain about lack of coverage for the mountain fly. Plus, I really don't do winter camping to speak of.

There's a little piece on me that wants to jump back and swap to a Superfly... But I'm going to stay the course.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee

Mountain fly over Superfly

I’m with you: Beaks over doors.

I recommend the Zpacks Double hook apparatus for use with Warbonnet beaks. https://zpacks.com/products/double-hook-apparatus-1 Unfortunately, they don’t work directly with the triangle D rings that Warbonnet uses (and which I’m not a fan of), but they work well if you add a loop of shock cord or other cordage (up to ~1/8”, I think).

Then something like a Zing-It soft shackle prussik’ed on the ridgeline can keep the beaks up during fair weather. I’m actually interested in a better solution for this, but I haven’t gotten it dialed in yet.
    Last edited by commanderkeen; 09-07-2020 at 09:14.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Love my mountain fly and I have both. I use the super fly in the winter if it’s really cold to reduce wind induced heat loss. Set low it seems to help. If cold is not an issue I prefer my mountain fly.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts/Pads
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have both also and love them. Mountainfly is my summer tarp that I originally paired with my amok but now use with everything. My superfly is my light-weight winter tarp when extra privacy isn’t a concern. It nice to just duck under the beaks with mountainfly. I think you’ll like it.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ/TQ/Spindrift
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Buckles
    I'm also trying to decide between the Superfly or Mountainfly to pair with a Ridgerunner.

I live in New Zealand, and a number of our hikes go the treeline or areas of bush where the ground cover is too dense and trees too small. Does anyone have any photos of going to ground with either the Superfly or Mountainfly, or can comment on their experience?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If your going to use the tarp with a RR then consider getting a 13 ft Super Fly as that is the size Warbonnet recommends using with the RR. Just got one as the The Terminator uses RR's. Also got the center pole mod and it really opens up the tarp.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC & Ridgerunner
    I have a Mountainfly for my WBBB XLC and a Thunderfly for my WBRR and prefer the smaller doors on the Thunderfly. I feel look cocooned in the Mountainfly, I enjoy the views I get out of the Thunderfly (yet still have a little protection from the elements at my head).

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It doesn't really matter in the winter IMO. If your goal is to block most/all wind, then all you accomplished was creating a wet, cold, wintertime jungle. I made that mistake with setting up my SLD Winter Haven the first time...all the way to the ground.

You gotta have some decent airflow or else your breath will soak everything after thousands of exhales thru the night. Crisp and dry always beats damp and a few degrees warmer, if any.

That Mountainfly provides great coverage.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I did the same thing, went with the Mountainfly and haven't looked back. It has more than enough coverage for any weather, and I like having the full width- which gives me more space for porch mode. The doors on the MF are long enough to cover my pack when I hang it from my hammock, but not so large that they're difficult to duck under.

I have a mountain fly and love it. Seems like a pretty perfect arrangement to me. I like feeling adequately covered, and in the mountainfly I am. The beaks/half-door work great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast