FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Beaks sewn in and ready to go......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Good to know. Thanks.

Begin very new to hammocks, this has been a great thread! After reading and watching videos, my reasoning (for me) tells me to get the superfly. Why? weight is not an issue (not backpacking). If I am in rain (I do enjoy the lullaby of rain drops on a tarp), I can close the doors - have seen it going sideways. It will be for shade most of the time - porch mode. If I'm at a "hang", I can have some privacy when needed.

I'm so new, I'm sure I'm missing something in my reasoning- please let me know

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GmanSendIt View Post
    Begin very new to hammocks, this has been a great thread! After reading and watching videos, my reasoning (for me) tells me to get the superfly. Why? weight is not an issue (not backpacking). If I am in rain (I do enjoy the lullaby of rain drops on a tarp), I can close the doors - have seen it going sideways. It will be for shade most of the time - porch mode. If I'm at a "hang", I can have some privacy when needed.

I'm so new, I'm sure I'm missing something in my reasoning- please let me know
    Your reasoning is right on. A wee bit of privacy is nice at hangs.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    GmanSendIt, welcome to the forum. You won’t to wrong with the SuperFly. A couple of things to remember … You don’t have to seam seal the ridgeline but you to have to seal the four panel pulls. WarBonnet supplies the seam seal for this with the tarp. You seal the stitching from the underside of the tarp. There are numerous thread and YouTube videos on this. Some people put a little talc on the area, after the seal has cured for a day, to reduce the tackiness.

With a Tarp the size of the SuperFly, you may want to get snake skins. They are a sleeve that slides over the tarp when you pack it up. If you try to set up the tarp in a definite wind, and expose the whole tarp, it will be quite a rodeo. The skin lets you set up the ridgeline, then expose and guy the tarp a little at a time. I like mesh better than solid nylon or DCF because when the tarp is wet, the inside of the skin gets wet too. And you want everything dry before you pack it away at the end of an adventure. The mesh dries fast. Some like a one piece long skin - full length of the tarp, others like a two piece skin - each about half the length of the tarp. Potato/Pahtahto - personal choice, pluses and minuses to each.

Also practice a little setting it up in the wind. Again, eveyone has their “way” depending upon experience. I used to set mine up broadside to the wind. But I found the wind was alway blowing the tarp into the hammock and dumping water right where I’d step (my fault for not paying attention to were the water would run off). When I switched to setting up parallel to the wind - when possible - I found it presented less surface area to the wind. The support trees themselves provided some blockage. And on at least two occasions, the aerodynamics of the wind across the tarp lifted the tarp from the sides rather than pushing it in. If that’s the case for you, be sure to accomodate the upward tug when you set your guy stakes.

I hope your SuperFly will provide a great “home” for many of your adventures.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-16-2022 at 19:24.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB / Chameleon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    SLD TW / CRO UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Excellent advice in a nutshell., Cougarmeat.
    I've found all of that to be true.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    If your SF has the little grosgrain loops on the inside along the ridge line you will want to seam seal those also. Mine dripped until I completely seam sealed the entire ridgeline inside and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, this is want makes this forum great...excellent advise for everyone's experiences - Thanks!

As I new hammock enthusiast, I echo the sentiment above. This site provides a wealth of great info!

The Mountain Fly looks like an awesome option. I have a Superfly, but never seems to really need all of the door coverage. Thanks for the review!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast