1st night in a hammock

Finally got started. Been eyeballing this hammock thing for awhile now as a way to get my kids and I back outdoors. Picked up a Ridge Outdoors Pinnacle GE hammock as a starting point. Decided last minute to try it out in the backyard overnight. Took a bit to get settled in and see what felt best, considering I have no frame of reference to go off of. Slept surprisingly well till about 430am when the mosquitos starting getting my back through the hammock material.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Welcome txrevolution! Looks like a good hammock to start with. You may find that a full length underquilt or an underquilt protector will keep mosquitoes from eating you alive. The underquilt will keep you warm at night too. Plenty of info available about them if you search this site.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by txrevolution View Post
    Finally got started. Been eyeballing this hammock thing for awhile now as a way to get my kids and I back outdoors. Picked up a Ridge Outdoors Pinnacle GE hammock as a starting point. Decided last minute to try it out in the backyard overnight. Took a bit to get settled in and see what felt best, considering I have no frame of reference to go off of. Slept surprisingly well till about 430am when the mosquitos starting getting my back through the hammock material.
    Be very careful hanging from pillars like that unless you are sure of their construction. Most are not designed to carry that kind of horizontal force.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Be very careful hanging from pillars like that unless you are sure of their construction. Most are not designed to carry that kind of horizontal force.
    I agree - that looks extremely unsafe. However, it's a good way to get on the evening news!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Because it’s so important, I second the idea of NOT using those pillars. A simple search on YouTube will show various accidents, some fatal, in those configurations. To drive the point home, those pillars are designed to hold a compression force - a vertical force down on the material. They are NOT designed for a shear force - a “sideways” force against the structure. Also, depending upon your hang angle - the hang angle in your photo was pretty good by the way - the sideways force can be much greater than the weight of the body in the hammock.

If kids are involved, they may not weight as much as an adult, but they may be more prone to “shock load” the sturcture with bouncing or jumping in the hammock.

Congratulations for getting into hammocks and welcome to the group. Our comments are not meant to discourage your involvement; they are only concerned for your safety and that of your kids.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I appreciate the concerns. Were these brick only columns, I would 100% share those concerns. But these are laminated lumber beams inside with a brick facade. The brick is merely a veneer tied back to the interior lumber with galvanized brick ties. The only load they are carrying is the brick courses above them. The structural load of the home is being carried by the lumber posts. I would assume 0 horizontal carrying capacity on a brick only column for the very reasons you mention.

Evidently the mosquitos got me better than I thought. My back looks like I have chicken pocks according to my wife. What are yall using in warmer temps to combat bugs in a single layer like this? I have been looking into under quilts for the upcoming fall, but here in Houston right now it is lows in the eighties and feels like humidity of 1000%. I assumed an underquilt would be far too warm for our summers.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by txrevolution View Post
    What are yall using in warmer temps to combat bugs in a single layer like this?
    Permethrin

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    So was it just the hammock fabric and your bare back? One of the advantages of a double layer hammock is mosquitoes aren’t supposed to be able to bite through it. The downside is more weight and bulk than a signal layer. So you can provide a second layer by wearing pajamas; especially those warmer quilted/waffle pattern tops. You’d still need some top covers at night - just not as warm.

Another lightweight solution is adding an under quilt protector (UQP) - like those sold by 2QZQ and others. It’s just a lightweight breathable nylon fabric that hangs under your hammock suspended by bungee cord. Though it’s called an underquilt protector, you don’t need an underquilt to use it. On a warm night, that might be all you need. It hands down under your hammock and blocking the heat robbing air flow. It also disallows mosquitoes from biting through the bottom of the hammock.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider
    Don't mosquitos find their way past an underquilt or underquilt protector (it's not sealed tight, right)?

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Themasterpiece View Post
    Don't mosquitos find their way past an underquilt or underquilt protector (it's not sealed tight, right)?
    With a 3/4 length underquilt I've had a few mosquito attacks, but never when using a UQP.

• + New Posts