Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    East Central has been very instrumental for the last several Hoosier HF Hangs and it's appreciated.

I'd say welcome and bring along a friend.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm planning on coming. Trying not to commit and jinx it like I always do with my indecisiveness!

I don't want to burn any more vacation so I'll roll in late after work Friday. 8:00PM at the lot. I'm not sure if this is the early-night or partying type crew, so I'll try to sneak in quiet either way. Could be close to 9:30PM to camp if I have to use the main lot.

The past 72-hr precip map shows 2.12" of rain at camp. More coming Friday. That ought to help the water situation. I saw west of Indy got close to 5"!

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    An update on some road closures. Don't forget your hunter orange as well.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/hoosi...ces/?aid=62788

"For public safety during maintenance activities on October 22 and 23, the USDA Forest Service will temporarily close all National Forest System land located in the area bounded on the west by State Road 446, on the north by Tower Ridge Road, and on the south and east by Hunter Creek Road, as reflected on the map for Closure Order 09-12-20-10. This includes portions of the Charles C. Deam Wilderness, Grubb Ridge Trailhead, Blackwell Horse Camp, Brooks Cabin, Cope Hollow Trail, Martin Hollow Trail and Hunter Creek Trail. In addition, Monroe County Highway Department will close Tower Ridge Road from the intersection of Last Horse Lane east to the intersection with Hunter Creek Road for this period.

The remainder of the Charles C. Deam Wilderness and Tower Ridge Road will remain open and can be accessed from the west via Hays Road or Hunter Creek Road. Maintenance activities include transporting materials in preparation for rerouting a section of Cope Hollow Trail at a future date. Approximately 3700 feet, or 0.7 miles, of the trail is planned to be rerouted due to poor trail location in an old entrenched roadbed, a lack of proper drainage, soil type, trail width, and heavy horse use which have created significant resource damage; compromising trail sustainability, wilderness trail standards and wilderness character. In addition, trail braiding is occurring due to poor trail surface and old roadbed width, creating new user-made trails and damaging vegetation."

Capture.PNG
    Last edited by Mescript; 10-21-2020 at 11:26.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    All take notice. Thanks Mescript.

Hunter's Creek Rd is well marked off of SR446. 2nd CR south of TRRd.

This will be interesting to see if this and the weather deters or concentrates the usual fall crush of folks flooding into the area.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Planning to be there later Friday afternoon as well. Hoping the rain keeps the day hikers away and there is parking spots at the fire tower. Otherwise it may be a longer hike in from one of the other trailheads which is fine.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Oh I had no idea!! I may just give up. Rolling in Friday night there could be nowhere to park. I'm not familiar with any parking to the east even though I drive that often.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    If your getting there at dark, your odds will be better than me arriving at 4-5 while people are still out walking. The nearest spot to there is the parking area that heads to the Peninsula which is a few miles to the West, and the road could be walked to the firetower if necessary. Your welcome to park behind my Honda Element if I get a spot and nothing else is available when you arrive, and it could be parked somewhere else the following morning.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescript View Post
    An update on some road closures. Don't forget your hunter orange as well.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/hoosi...ces/?aid=62788

"For public safety during maintenance activities on October 22 and 23, the USDA Forest Service will temporarily close all National Forest System land located in the area bounded on the west by State Road 446, on the north by Tower Ridge Road, and on the south and east by Hunter Creek Road, as reflected on the map for Closure Order 09-12-20-10. This includes portions of the Charles C. Deam Wilderness, Grubb Ridge Trailhead, Blackwell Horse Camp, Brooks Cabin, Cope Hollow Trail, Martin Hollow Trail and Hunter Creek Trail. In addition, Monroe County Highway Department will close Tower Ridge Road from the intersection of Last Horse Lane east to the intersection with Hunter Creek Road for this period.

The remainder of the Charles C. Deam Wilderness and Tower Ridge Road will remain open and can be accessed from the west via Hays Road or Hunter Creek Road. Maintenance activities include transporting materials in preparation for rerouting a section of Cope Hollow Trail at a future date. Approximately 3700 feet, or 0.7 miles, of the trail is planned to be rerouted due to poor trail location in an old entrenched roadbed, a lack of proper drainage, soil type, trail width, and heavy horse use which have created significant resource damage; compromising trail sustainability, wilderness trail standards and wilderness character. In addition, trail braiding is occurring due to poor trail surface and old roadbed width, creating new user-made trails and damaging vegetation."

Capture.PNG
    THANK YOU!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TyRod View Post
    If your getting there at dark, your odds will be better than me arriving at 4-5 while people are still out walking. The nearest spot to there is the parking area that heads to the Peninsula which is a few miles to the West, and the road could be walked to the firetower if necessary. Your welcome to park behind my Honda Element if I get a spot and nothing else is available when you arrive, and it could be parked somewhere else the following morning.
    I planned on that big lot as a backup which wouldn't add much hiking time, but according to the map with red x's the road will be closed there. Hunter Creek TH is to the south by the church, but that's no fun. I certainly don't want to be jammed up after driving 3 hours.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I planned on that big lot as a backup which wouldn't add much hiking time, but according to the map with red x's the road will be closed there. Hunter Creek TH is to the south by the church, but that's no fun. I certainly don't want to be jammed up after driving 3 hours.
    Yeah, that's kind of a cluster F right there with the work going on and I get what your saying. I always come in from the East so I wouldn't have to mess with that and could easily map out the backroads from SR46 near Gnawbone that I take. The only other option if all the west trailheads are closed is to hopefully find one of the dispersed camp spots on CR1460 on the map to park at and hike in. There really isn't any parking spots on the East side of the fire tower on Tower Ridge other than a few fire road sections that a few cars could park at. I could PM my phone # if necessary to help if needed.
    But hopefully the parking at the fire tower will be good Friday afternoon since most people probably come from the west side and with construction going on, it'll deter them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast