Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post
    Interesting, leiavoia. Do you have a video link on how that’s done? I usually pre-tie my lines to the loops with the bowline and then use whichever hitch is called for depending on how far out I have to put my stakes. Tying the knots in the field keeps me in practice. Of course, it’s always good to learn new knots.
    I have a guylines permanently attached to the tarp D-Rings. The free end of the cord is just tied to itself with any sliding knot, forming an adjustable loop. You put the loop around the stake and snug it up. Thats it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Huh. I have never seen the need for hardware on any of my guylines. My Zing-It is permanently larksheaded onto the tarp, then I just use a marlin spike hitch on the stake end.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Huh. I have never seen the need for hardware on any of my guylines. My Zing-It is permanently larksheaded onto the tarp, then I just use a marlin spike hitch on the stake end.
    Same here. And one of the benefits to keeping the lines on the tarp is you can use them to wrap around the tarp and compress it to make it smaller for storage. This is especially useful with my HG DCF tarp with doors.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I have tautline/midshipmans hitch pre-tied on my guylines. I just slide the knot to where i want and loop it onto the stake. I do zero knot tying in the field with that setup and i dont need any silly metal things.

You can also just tie directly to the stake with a Pile Hitch or Clove Hitch ("old school")
    I'm pretty happy with my small repertoire of knots but I did switch from MSH to Clove Hitch (loop-under-loop technique) for the stake end. I use Ti shepherd hooks and the small loop in the MSH can be a little balky to pull out once the stake is removed. Not so with the Clove hitch.

OK it's just a tiny detail but I analyze the crap out of everything else so why not this?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Currently use Hookworms, and love them. The only con i have with them (which is why im considering Linelocks), is they are a pain in the *** to work with in the pouring/freezing rain, and your fingers are losing their agility.

After much trial and error, I use Hookworm tieouts on all my tarps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    At one time I utilized Hookworms but Warbonnet’s FishHook’s kept stealing them
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I use 6 of the line lock hooks on my superfly. I have Lawson's 2mm (never had a slip though you could do 2.5 to be extra sure) cordage permanently attached to the stake and leave the line lock hook attached there. I bought both the line lock hooks and the hookworms to test out and vastly preferred the line lock hooks. They adjust so easy and I tend to do a lot of fiddling with my lines. Get one in, tighten a little, other end and tighten a little, so on. For me the line lock hooks are just superior to the hookworms. I would consider doing something like SilvrSurfr mentioned as an alternative. My previous tarp I had the guy lines on the tarp and it definitely makes packing up faster, probably even deployment a bit as well. Maybe a smaller tarp I would do that, with my 13ft superfly I have found a lot of slack once each end goes in which would mean pulling the stake to redo a marlin spike hitch. The biggest pain with my setup right now is pulling the stakes and then wrapping the cord around the stake before putting it away. Seems like a small complaint but is just something I never look forward to.

I like the Ringworms over either the Hookworms or Fleaz for this specific application. Nothing against knots. I've always been into them but I have nothing against using hardware for a lot of this hammock stuff.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    1) Have definitely tripped hard on a guyline without ripping the tarp. Yes, I think a little give from tensioners helped. I'm not crazy about having shock cord as a failure point, either, so I tie about 4 inches of shock cord into the guyline itself (as shown by Shug around 8:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GQPY5BuyPI&t=2s).

2) True, but from personal experience, 2 weeks ago, 1.8 dyneema in a line loc 3 needs a slipped half hitch or it will slip after a while in 40 mph gusts. I think that slippage is better insurance against a trip/tear scenario.

3) Yup, but a Line lock 3 takes significantly less dexterity, especially with 1.8. Particularly in the rain, with wind trying to flap that line right out of your hand.

4) I use Line lock hooks to connect to gosgrain loops on my tarp. It seems like the best way to me with Drings too.

5) Never had one break. Their breaking point is well past any tarp's. Since they're attached to the tarp rather than the stake, there is really no opportunity for tem to get crushed underfoot.

6) No, but consider hands on a wet, windy 70 degree day.

If I wasn't so fascinated with tiny brummel splices, something like Lawson's 2mm glowire is probably a bit easier to work with, but there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by jms703 View Post
    I like using fast/simple hardware for securing my tarp. I'm curious to know if anyone had an opinion about using Hookworms vs Line Lock Hooks for the corner tie outs of my HG Dyneema DCF tarp with doors. So far I've considered a few things:

1. Both the hookworms and the line lock hooks will hook onto a 3/32" loop of shock cord attached to the corner tie out Beastee D rings. (I'm still not convinced if I need the shock cord loops on the tarp, but there are a lot of opinions in this forum that the shock cord will reduce the chance of tearing the tarp if someone tripped on a guy line. I would love to know if this as ever happened to someone.)
    2. Both the hookworms and the line lock hooks will hold tension on a 1.8 mm Relect-It guy line.
    3. Both are easy for me to use.
    4. Only line lock hooks will hook onto the Beastee D rings of my tarp. The hookworms will not. Hooking onto the D rings seems like an advantage in event that a shock cord loop fails or I don't want to use shock cord on my DCF tarp. I suppose I can make small loops of Zing It.
    5. Hookworks are aluminum, line lock hooks are plastic. Has anyone had a plastic line loc or line loc hook break on a trip? (I'd probably just tie a knot if one failed on a trip.)
    6. I'm not worried about freezing temperatures as I don't camp when it's that cold.

Any opinions on these hardware options?
    Any other things to consider that I missed?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast