Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock camper in search of a tarp for year-long trip

I am planning a trip down through Latin America, on my DR-650 with a surfboard rack.

I have a Warbonnet XLC hammock and am looking for a relatively large square tarp that will provide shade/rain shelter for the hammock/ground camping and a living area (will be moving almost every day).

I am torn between the Kelty Noah 12, Paria 12x10 square, Aquaquest heavy duty 13x10.

Anyone have any of these tarps are recommend one over the other for what I'm trying to do? Since weight isn't as big an issue for motocampers I feel the durability of the Kelty or Aquaquest may be superior to the other options.

https://www.kelty.com/noahs-tarp-12/
    https://www.pariaoutdoorproducts.com...ctuary-siltarp
    https://aquaquestwaterproof.com/coll...31800291754061

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have never used a Kelty tarp myself but the folks who do use them seem to be very happy with them other than the weight and bulk. I see all they are offering now is a diamond tarp which will not give you the protection you may need from a heavy rain storm. Of the three I would go with the Paria
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

DD Hammocks have a number of square tarps. In meters they have 3x3, 3.5x3.5, 4x4, and even 5x5. I don't have one yet, but it sounds like they're very nice tarps. I'm planning to get a 3.5x3.5 (11.5x11.5 feet) or a 4x4 (13x13 feet) when they're back in stock sometime in September.

DD Hammocks - All Tarps
    Last edited by ksing44; 09-12-2020 at 06:05.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a Kelty 12x12 that I have used for at least 5 years now. It goes with me motocamping & car camping where I use it as a cover rather than over my hammock. Let he say that while I love it's durability and cost, it can be a pain to get a nice tight hang on it when using it as an area cover rather than a hammock tarp. It is cat cut and works great for a large tarp with door over my hammock, I would much prefer a square or rectangular (no cat cuts) for area coverage.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I have the Aqua-quest Defender 13' X 10' Tarp. It is an absolute beast when it comes to coverage and durability. I got it for my Backcounty Canadian Canoe trips. It is heavy at 5 lbs, but it is extremely durable. I'd count on it to hold up for a year. The coverage is also impressive. The coverage provides what is needed in particularly bad weather. Set up with side coverage etc. is possible. Many high quality tie out points. You won't go wrong if you end up choosing the Aquaquest.

Quote Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
    DD Hammocks have a number of square tarps. In meters they have 3x3, 3.5x3.5, 4x4, and even 5x5. I don't have one yet, but it sounds like they're very nice tarps. I'm planning to get a 3.5x3.5 (11.5x11.5 feet) or a 4x4 (13x13 feet) when they're back in stock sometime in September.

DD Hammocks - All Tarps
    Awesome thanks! Someone else recommended that to me on ADVRider (motorcycle forum). I am strongly considering this one now over the Kelty

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I have the Aqua-quest Defender 13' X 10' Tarp. It is an absolute beast when it comes to coverage and durability. I got it for my Backcounty Canadian Canoe trips. It is heavy at 5 lbs, but it is extremely durable. I'd count on it to hold up for a year. The coverage is also impressive. The coverage provides what is needed in particularly bad weather. Set up with side coverage etc. is possible. Many high quality tie out points. You won't go wrong if you end up choosing the Aquaquest.
    Thanks for the review. This is the tarp with the least amount of info online so I wasn't sure. The 5 lbs/bulkiness is a deterrent however. Any idea about the medium duty one they have?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are going for a large tarp and are already considering Noah, why not go for their Noah 16? Sounds like size/weight will not be an issue. I think Dutchware has a “two person” tarp that is extra wide - that might be a choice. Also configuring two non-gigantic traps side by side (with necessary overlap) give you even more options.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    If you are going for a large tarp and are already considering Noah, why not go for their Noah 16? Sounds like size/weight will not be an issue. I think Dutchware has a “two person” tarp that is extra wide - that might be a choice. Also configuring two non-gigantic traps side by side (with necessary overlap) give you even more options.
    I was considering the 16, but it seems more difficult to set up. Most of the time I plan to stealth camp and would like it to be easier to make/breakdown camp

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanstrange View Post
    Thanks for the review. This is the tarp with the least amount of info online so I wasn't sure. The 5 lbs/bulkiness is a deterrent however. Any idea about the medium duty one they have?
    All the data is right there on their web site. The defender is their tarp meant for durability. Their sil-nylon 13' x 10' tarp is 1.7 lbs.
    Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast