Hello from Detroit!

Welp my name is James and I'm from Allen Park, Michigan. Where's that? Well if you ever flew into Detroit Metro Airport and took I-94 east into town and drove past a giant tire... that's Allen Park. Been lurking here for some time and decided to jump into the pool.

I got here by way of YouTube hopping when I was nerding up on slingshots, actually. I watched a ton on Fowler's Makery & Mischief, then saw one of his hammock videos, then hopped onto Shug's channel and that got me interested. When I was a kid we camped in a pop-up and later a motorhome. Too much for me nowadays; we tent it now but being a bigger fella I'm sick of these air mattresses and my wife is tired of being launched into the air like a circus acrobat whenever I lay down (bwoooop!). Point is, I dig the minimalism and simplicity of hammocks.

I've been interested in hammocks for some time but I'm between jobs (the job market being what it is) so haven't had much funding for side projects. I was thrilled when a neighbor gifted me a generic netless from Alpha Outpost and I immediately got some daisy-chain tree straps. But as I have zero trees, I'm considering different options like a wooden folding stand or a DIY tensa.

In time I hope to make a bigger tablecloth hammock and get some Amsteel and make my own CLs and Whoopies, play with knots and cordage and all that.

Aside from all that, I'm a husband and dad of two, I'm an automotive technical writer and hardware validation technician (when I'm employed that is), a licensed ham operator, an ordained minister and standup comedian. I also collect and restore oil lamps and pressure lanterns.

Look forward to knowing you all, and many thanks to all of your contributions that I have previously lurked!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Welcome to HF. You will, and it looks like you have already, uncover a wealth of information here. I'm confident you will find hammocks will open a whole new opportunity for adventures with your two kids. Highly suggest making their beginning hammock camping experiences positive ones. There are a number of hammocks on the less expensive price range that should work well given your circumstances. That is, as nice as the hammocks from well respected vendors are, they aren't essential for a successful experience. Persistence, researching information, problem solving, and experimentation are key. There are a number of threads on DIY hammock stands that should line up with your particular challenges.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. I grew up right near Telegraph and Van Born so I know Allen Park very well. Glad to have you here. I am also an avid collector/restorer of pressure lanterns and old stove (optimus, radius, primus, enders, coleman, etc.....). I have been a member here for many years - this is a place with a ton of info.

again WELCOME.

Dave
    Dave

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Hey James,

Welcome to the forum. I grew up close to Champaign Park and we used to ride our bikes around the woods by the giant tire.

I see all those trees have been gone for quite a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ShroominDave View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I grew up right near Telegraph and Van Born so I know Allen Park very well. Glad to have you here. I am also an avid collector/restorer of pressure lanterns and old stove (optimus, radius, primus, enders, coleman, etc.....). I have been a member here for many years - this is a place with a ton of info.

again WELCOME.

Dave
    Ah! I only have an 80s-vintage Coleman white gas 2-burner (aside from our regular propane rig we take camping) and mostly Coleman lanterns, although I do have a late '40s AGM and a 1964 Aida Express Record I found at the Buckley show, both awaiting restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by DintheD View Post
    Hey James,

Welcome to the forum. I grew up close to Champaign Park and we used to ride our bikes around the woods by the giant tire.

I see all those trees have been gone for quite a few years.
    Correct. They chopped a bunch down to expand the Baker College campus, and then most recently they dug a huge sewer interceptor to address the backup issues for the properties across 94. After all of that there isn't much left treewise.

• + New Posts