Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Had to make it a two-night trip so camped at Porcupine Lake up on the hill both nights, and hiked to Owen Lake watering hole and back on the second day. That's a mighty fine hiking trail, and love the back-country camping. Only saw one father-son party of two on trail. Oodles of peace and solitude. Had debated whether I needed a down jacket and whether I'd make do with 40 degree top and bottom quilts. Glad I went with a heavier pack weight.

Did encounter a porcupine on trail. **** things are slow to clear. Glad my pup listens to me when I give her a "leave it". She backed off before getting too close. I'd love to get back there once a year.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonatic View Post
    Had to make it a two-night trip so camped at Porcupine Lake up on the hill both nights, and hiked to Owen Lake watering hole and back on the second day. That's a mighty fine hiking trail, and love the back-country camping. Only saw one father-son party of two on trail. Oodles of peace and solitude. Had debated whether I needed a down jacket and whether I'd make do with 40 degree top and bottom quilts. Glad I went with a heavier pack weight.

Did encounter a porcupine on trail. **** things are slow to clear. Glad my pup listens to me when I give her a "leave it". She backed off before getting too close. I'd love to get back there once a year.
    Excellent, glad you had a good time. Thanks for the report. lol Understandable, Porcupine Lake is a wonderful spot.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    I'm thinking about heading up today to do this trip again. Does anyone know how the trail conditions are currently? I see that bear hunting with dogs starts today, but I assume that isn't allowed in the wilderness areas? It also looks as though all the rain from last weekend missed the NCT in the Porcupine Lake area.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Ended up camping with my lab at the top of Porcupine Lake for 2 nights. Had I known that a gale was coming Wed night, I would have camped down below in a sheltered spot. That was the strongest wind I've ever experienced under a tarp. One of the four corner stakes came out during the night, even though I had groundhog stakes. The wind whipping the tarp kept me up most of the night. Was too windy to get a fire going in the morning, so no coffee or warm food. Fortunately I had a light down jacket in the pack, or I'd have froze. Was very nice after the wind died down Thu afternoon.

Hammock
    12' Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sil poly w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    if you guys don't mind I'd like to piggy back off your thread. I'm looking to do a 6-7 day hike up in Wisconsin next week for my birthday. I've been thinking about doing Chequamegon/Taylor county section of the Ice Age Trail. Would you recommend this or perhaps a different area up there I can do 6 or 7 days in? I'd prefer primitive camping spots like Loonatic. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Taylor Co, is very nice at this time of year. Too wet in spring/early summer; too buggy in summer. Great now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12