Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF

NCT WI questions

I'm planning a 3-4 day backpacking trip this month on the NCT trail in the Porkupine Lake Wilderness area. I'm thinking I'll park at CRD P and head west. Is that a decent place to park a car for a few days? Do I need anything other than a state park sticker?

Probably do 2 days out and back. How is that section of trail?

I prefer backcountry camping over camp sites, unless they are very rustic hike-in/bike-in/paddle-in only camp sites. Are there any good places I can look for. First day I'll have a 5 hr drive, so maybe 5-6 miles west of the trail head. Second day, maybe another 10 miles further west. Best to just bushwhack 100 ft off trail? If I decide to sleep near the trail head, rather than drive home, are there any good spots to hang within a half mile or so from CRD P?

Also, planning to hike with my 90 lb choc lab. At night she'll sleep inside my Cave Creek Pet Palace. Are there any precautions I need to take in terms of hiking with a dog? Should I use a bell on her?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I think you mean CTY D if you're looking at the eastern edge of the Porcupine Wilderness. There is a large very nice / safe parking lot at that trailhead. No sticker of any kind is necessary, it's NF land not state and not a trailhead they require a sticker for. If heading west you're headed into the best hiking of the trail in NW WI, between the eastern edge of the Porcupine Wilderness and the northern boundary of the Rainbow Wilderness. The area around Lake Owen is a designated natural area that is just spectacular.

You're in luck because most everything is a form of back country camping in the Chequamegon chapter. There are areas (especially around lakes) that have been used by hikers / boaters / campers for years that they look like established campsites but are not official in any way. West of Cty A trailhead the Brule / St Croix chapter takes over and they've spent more time establishing official campsites. However yes there really isn't anywhere it isn't quite simple to back country camp. Really you're only consideration is if you need to be next to water or not. Just my opinion, coming off the trailhead with only wanting to get 5 or 6 miles I'd pull up a little shorter at 4.5 and camp at the top of Porcupine Lake. The north side has a huuuuuge open area up above the lake where an army could camp and extremely old trees. On the northeast corner of the lake there is also a lower campsite that is almost as nice that just spurs off the trail as you're coming up on the lake. Between there and Lake Owen it's pretty thick woods with no water unless you wanted to walk up to 7 miles and head down to Two Lakes campground, which I'm guessing you wouldn't. If going around ten miles the next day from there would put you around Hwy 63 which if you don't mind walking an extra mile or so there's beautiful bush camping next to long branch creek. There's a very old seldom used campsite from years ago with a fire ring or many open areas to camp.

No I wouldn't worry about a bell at all. If bears are you concern they will take off as soon as they see you and a dog will make them do it faster. Hiking on leash is always the safest option but to each their own. It has been a very healthy bear year, I've seen about ten on trail this year and that's a record by a large margin. Every encounter was the same "oh s**t human, run away." Strangely enough bear hunters are your greater concern right now. The season is getting ready to start and a lot of hunters are running their dogs right now. They are not allowed in the Wilderness Areas but you will definitely hear them. Where you are headed it would be very unlikely you will run into them but best to be aware.

EDIT: One other dog precaution I forgot, we've run across a lot of porcupine's on trail this year. I'd rather run into a thousand bears than deal with one bad dog / porcupine confrontation.
    Last edited by alifeoutdoors; 09-02-2020 at 14:33.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Thanks, this is very useful info. Yeah, I meant Hwy D trail head, not P. Top of Porcupine Lake sounds great for the first night, as does long branch creek. I think 11 miles would work.

Thanks for the tip on porcupines. I generally like to hike with my dog off leash, as she's got a very strong leave it and strong recall, and stays close to me. I'll keep my eyes out for porcupines.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonatic View Post
    Thanks, this is very useful info. Yeah, I meant Hwy D trail head, not P. Top of Porcupine Lake sounds great for the first night, as does long branch creek. I think 11 miles would work.

Thanks for the tip on porcupines. I generally like to hike with my dog off leash, as she's got a very strong leave it and strong recall, and stays close to me. I'll keep my eyes out for porcupines.
    No problem, enjoy your walk. Feel free to hit me up with any other questions, I know that area quite well
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    Can I ask a Noob ?. Where do you find trail maps of areas like this. I'd like to go explore but unlike the big name trails maps seem difficult to come by. Online or at the park offices which as of the last time I was in Wisconsin were still closed.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darbe View Post
    Can I ask a Noob ?. Where do you find trail maps of areas like this. I'd like to go explore but unlike the big name trails maps seem difficult to come by. Online or at the park offices which as of the last time I was in Wisconsin were still closed.
    Generally the best place to start is the organization’s website. For example the NCTA produces maps for each state that you can purchase at their store. Pretty much all the major trails up here the NCT, IAT, SHT, border route, kek etc have websites that have either a store or links available to purchase maps.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL UQ, WB Diamond
    Suspension
    Whoopie or BH
    I have yet to backpack on the NCT, but have done a little research and found this info.

https://northcountrytrail.org/trail/maps/

Online map
    https://nct.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vie...835af2e8c5f13a
    Zoom in to see mile markers, some parking lots, campgrounds.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    Thank you I'll look harder at the sites. I had to this point found maps only to the general area but short of decent trail maps. Maybe I'm spoiled with the maps I have for the BWCA and SHT.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL UQ, WB Diamond
    Suspension
    Whoopie or BH
    Also a book at the library (or Amazon) by Thomas Funke. "50 Hikes on Michigan & Wisconsin's NCT"

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    If you download the Avenza app to an Iphone (presumably Android as well), there's a free map you can download called "Chequamegon National Forest (WI Maps 015-025)". The section I'm planning to hike from east to west is covered in maps 020, 019, 018 and 017.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast