Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'

Big Guy Bridge and Tensa 4 Stand

I got a Big Guy Bridge from Just Bill and love it I slept in it Friday night and then napped in it Saturday. I should have started with a bridge hammock.

I do a lot of kayak camping and got a Tensa 4 stand for camping on islands and other places where trees are limited. I was told the stand wouldn't work with the Big Guy Bridge but took that as a challenge. A suggestion was made to reduce the baseline of the stand to about 3 feet which seems to work with the Ridgerunner but the head end spreader bar and fabric touched the stand when it was loaded. I tried spreading the baseline out much further, about 8 feet, and the tips of the head end spreader bar hit the stand. I also noticed the ridgeline became very slack when the hammock was loaded.

I have an older Tensa 4 with the ZingIt foot teather line and tried making that taught and that straightened out the slack in the ridgeline. I made a UCR to replace the foot teather. I'll continue to experiment but I think the geometry might not work. I can always just order a couple of Solo conversion kits if there's no hope or just use a gathered end but the BGB is just so comfortable.

Bill, Cheryl and Todd are working on this and I hope there's a solution. I haven't done a lot of fiddling yet but maybe somebody else has.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I’ve tried to get it to work. In my opinion the tensa doesn’t work that great with the ridge runner either without suspension changes and stuff. I bring two solo poles and rarely use both at the same time but at least I got em. The comfort of a Townsend bridge is worth the extra staking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I'd be interested in seeing how this pans out. Like most others say, Bill's BGBH is heaven. The most comfortable I've ever been in a hammock. I kayak also but haven't tried an overnight trip yet.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I have been experimenting and have come up with something that seems to work. I sent pictures to the Tensa folks and Bill so they can tell me if the hack is dangerous.

In the meantime, Bill has sent a hammock to Tensa so they can try to figure it out. When I hear back from them, I'll share.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    I have been experimenting and have come up with something that seems to work. I sent pictures to the Tensa folks and Bill so they can tell me if the hack is dangerous.

In the meantime, Bill has sent a hammock to Tensa so they can try to figure it out. When I hear back from them, I'll share.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Hammock is on the way to Cheryl... So we shall see.

For sure the Tato stand works... but it would be nice for you Tensa owners to have an option.

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    I hope they can figure it out, I couldn’t get my Luxury bridge to work with my stand.
    I’d prefer to take my bridge with me.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    It seems Todd has another solution that looks really good. It's in the thread in DIY.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Could you use 2 Tensa Solo's instead of the stand to get the right spacing?

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by kanazky View Post
    Could you use 2 Tensa Solo's instead of the stand to get the right spacing?
    Yes. Both my solution and Todd's don't require me to buy anything I don't already have. Todd's solution is to tether the base of the poles to the Orange Screw, thereby effectively splitting the stand in two. Since I just bought a 600 foot spool of Amsteel, making a couple of UCRs was simple. I'll be testing it out before my next trip this weekend.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    Yes. Both my solution and Todd's don't require me to buy anything I don't already have. Todd's solution is to tether the base of the poles to the Orange Screw, thereby effectively splitting the stand in two. Since I just bought a 600 foot spool of Amsteel, making a couple of UCRs was simple. I'll be testing it out before my next trip this weekend.

John-
    Todd's solution/explanation was what I was trying to communicate in our last email. That's more or less what Cheryl suggested in our call together.
    I'm not familiar enough with the stand to get into specifics- but I got the sense you can collapse a few sections of the poles to adjust the height- or get it right in the ballpark. From there you could tune things a bit by tipping the bipod out of vertical (away from the hammock).

That said- I think you understand it better than I do, lol. But 'splitting the stand' seems like the simplest explanation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast