Hammock
    Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

How do you connect your jarbidge to your ridgerunner?

Did a search to see if anyone has asked this before and I couldn't find anything.

I know people have demonstrated jarbidge and ridgerunner work. After reading in this forum about it I decided to make that my set-up.

Anyone else have the same set-up? My question is, where do you attach your jarbidge carabiners to your RR? When I add the carabiners I add them to where the dogbones start to separate. But then in doing this the carabiner and weight of the JB pulls the dogbones closer together. I worry this affects the stability of the hammock.

What do you all do?

This might apply to non-jarbidge underquilts. So if you have any insight please let me know.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    The Jarbidge is made to be used with gathered end hammocks. The Ridge Creek is designed for Bridge hammocks.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Quote Originally Posted by tandrewmalan View Post
    I know people have demonstrated jarbidge and ridgerunner work.

Anyone else have the same set-up? My question is, where do you attach your jarbidge carabiners to your RR?
    I use my Jarbidge on a bridge hammock, though not a Ridgerunner. I'll set up and shoot a few pics and post here later to show you how I do it, but in the meantime I can tell you that I added four small loops of zingit that are attached as prussics on the dogbones of the hammock. I added an extra carabiner to each end of the jarbidge suspension so it has four. On each end I clip a carabiner into the prussic on the dogbone. That means the underquilt is pulled both longitudinally down the length of the hammock and also laterally across the width which has the effect of lifting it up and spreading it out for a good fit.

I've also tried simply looping the suspension around the spreader bar ends where the tips project out which works but is subpar compared to using extra carabiners and the prussic loops. I'll put up some photos after I get things set up to show what what I mean. Check this thread later today.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I use my Jarbidge on a bridge hammock, though not a Ridgerunner. I'll set up and shoot a few pics and post here later to show you how I do it, but in the meantime I can tell you that I added four small loops of zingit that are attached as prussics on the dogbones of the hammock. I added an extra carabiner to each end of the jarbidge suspension so it has four. On each end I clip a carabiner into the prussic on the dogbone. That means the underquilt is pulled both longitudinally down the length of the hammock and also laterally across the width which has the effect of lifting it up and spreading it out for a good fit.

I've also tried simply looping the suspension around the spreader bar ends where the tips project out which works but is subpar compared to using extra carabiners and the prussic loops. I'll put up some photos after I get things set up to show what what I mean. Check this thread later today.
    I loop my suspension over my spread bars as well currently. It definitely gets the job done but I don't like how the carabiner pulls the dogbones together. I can visuallize what you are doing with the prussiks. I can probably reproduce it from your description but I would love some pics when you have time! Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    The Jarbidge is made to be used with gathered end hammocks. The Ridge Creek is designed for Bridge hammocks.
    Hi 1-Hung-Low. Yes I know but I'm camping on a budget so I'm trying to get creative with it. If you have any suggestions let me know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tandrewmalan View Post
    I loop my suspension over my spread bars as well currently. It definitely gets the job done but I don't like how the carabiner pulls the dogbones together. I can visuallize what you are doing with the prussiks. I can probably reproduce it from your description but I would love some pics when you have time! Thanks!
    prussic_alone.jpg

both_biners.JPG

one_biner_per_side.jpg

Sort of a quick and dirty hang just for the photos. I hope this illustrates what I'm doing sufficiently. I agree that doing it like this does pull in on the dogbones initially during setup. However, once my weight is in the hammock, I find that the tension straightens out the dogbones just fine. I've had to play with the the prussics, sliding them up or down an inch or two until the underquilt is lifted up and out. Currently, the loops live about where you see them here, roughly two inches from the tip of the spreader bar.

The trick is getting the quilt up against your back without stretching it so tight it becomes ineffective. You also don't want it too loose. If it's hanging too far away from the hammock, even if it's snugged up on the ends, that air pocket between the underquilt and the hammock will lead to heat loss. That's not a big deal if the temps are in the 40s, but it becomes critically important when I'm hanging in temps near or below the rating of the quilt.

Using this system plus an underquilt protector, I've slept below the rated temp of my Jarbidge. Using the Jarbidge alone I wouldn't hesitate to camp down to freezing temps. It's a terrific value in an underquilt and I've never regretted buying it.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    prussic_alone.jpg

both_biners.JPG

one_biner_per_side.jpg

Sort of a quick and dirty hang just for the photos. I hope this illustrates what I'm doing sufficiently. I agree that doing it like this does pull in on the dogbones initially during setup. However, once my weight is in the hammock, I find that the tension straightens out the dogbones just fine. I've had to play with the the prussics, sliding them up or down an inch or two until the underquilt is lifted up and out. Currently, the loops live about where you see them here, roughly two inches from the tip of the spreader bar.

The trick is getting the quilt up against your back without stretching it so tight it becomes ineffective. You also don't want it too loose. If it's hanging too far away from the hammock, even if it's snugged up on the ends, that air pocket between the underquilt and the hammock will lead to heat loss. That's not a big deal if the temps are in the 40s, but it becomes critically important when I'm hanging in temps near or below the rating of the quilt.

Using this system plus an underquilt protector, I've slept below the rated temp of my Jarbidge. Using the Jarbidge alone I wouldn't hesitate to camp down to freezing temps. It's a terrific value in an underquilt and I've never regretted buying it.
    This is exactly what I thought you were describing. I'll add some prussiks to my Dogbones this weekend. I never thought about having the UQ too tight. I guess I just assumed it would be able to get enough loft even if tight but I think you bring up a good point. Attaching it to the top of the fork of the dogbones is keeping it too tight for sure.

Also good to know about the dogbones returning to their normal shape when you lay.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    For the short amount of time I had a Ridgerunner, I was able to successfully use my traditional UQs on it (same basic design as the Jarbidge). What I did was figure out how tight the primary suspension needed to be to lift it up against the RR. Then I would tie a marlin spike hitch in the UQ suspension at the correct point, and attach a mini-biner to it (like you would a toggle). I did this to all 4 points on the suspension, then clipped the biners to the dog bones on the RR to attach the UQ. Lastly, all I had to do was adjust the end channel tension to make sure no drafts could come in from the ends, and it was good to go.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    For the short amount of time I had a Ridgerunner, I was able to successfully use my traditional UQs on it (same basic design as the Jarbidge). What I did was figure out how tight the primary suspension needed to be to lift it up against the RR. Then I would tie a marlin spike hitch in the UQ suspension at the correct point, and attach a mini-biner to it (like you would a toggle). I did this to all 4 points on the suspension, then clipped the biners to the dog bones on the RR to attach the UQ. Lastly, all I had to do was adjust the end channel tension to make sure no drafts could come in from the ends, and it was good to go.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm still dialing in my preferred way so I might give this a try during my next hang!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    prussic_alone.jpg

both_biners.JPG

one_biner_per_side.jpg

I tried using a prussik on the dogbones and it worked well! I think I need to play around with the prussik locations a bit more but it's a definite improvement. Thank you!

IMG_8936.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast