WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Ridgerunner Thought Experiment

Laying in the Ridgerunner last night thinking about suspension and wondered about this...what if you replaced all four dogbones with whoopie slings? The tree strap and anything coming off it would be fixed, all the adjustments would be done with the whoopies.

Yeah I get adjusting the lay would be more complex as there’d not only be the head-foot angle adjustment, but now there’s four corners to adjust to level the hammock left-right. I don’t really see a good reason to replace the dogbones with whoopies, but it would work don’t you think.

Adjusting by using whooping as dog ones. Wouldn’t that alter the suspension triangle enough to affect the stability? I’m just thinking of what if’s.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It's like splicing an animal like a banana slug with a human. You could but do you really want to?!

It's important for the dog bones to be the same length as the other one on the same end. So why make it so they can be extended or shortened independent of each other? I agree that it might be nice to be able to adjust the length of the dogbone triangle but it's just not worth it. Just do it with the straps and slings wrapped around the tree IMO.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    But why? Bored?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    But why? Bored?
    Yeah, pretty much. Just a thought.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Doing one dogbone as a whoopie is a good trick first sorted out by WV to improve the bridge as a camp chair. I borrowed profusely in coming up with my 'chair trick'.

Otherwise... you're adding a good bit of weight as well as fiddle factor to no real advantage.

When you build an end bar bridge... if the dogbones are off by much more than a 1/4"... you can feel the twist in the bridge. Even tangling your lines a little or crossing them up can create this sensation.
    So having to balance 4 whoopie slings each night is more trouble than balancing two on each strap.

If you were looking to maximize absolute minimum tree to tree distance... I sorta get the idea as the non-working burried portions of the whoopie slings would be in the suspension triangle.
    A Beckett hitch or Turtle tie would do this as well though without any compromises to the bridge.

I am debating a single dogbone per side with a turtle tie girth hitched at the center as a potential 'minimum' setup. The issue with this is when/if your dogbones wear out, there is not a great way to replace them without directly splicing them on.

• + New Posts