2mm eBay UHMwPE Whoopie Slings

I recently bought some cheap UHMwPE from eBay with the idea for using it as suspension and thought I'd share my experience.

The chief motivating factor was price, I've been messing around with various hammocks and would really like dedicated whoopie slings on the lot of em, but at around £1/m, the usual Amsteel is a bit much for me.

This stuff is obviously a bit thinner, and the weight rating is nowhere near as good (380kg), but still within a 5x multiplication of my weight.

Anyway, long story short, it works fine (I'm 70kg). As well neither does the bury slip.

I did try a UCR with a whopping 30cm bury, but that still slipped on me.

This is slightly lighter than the Amsteel too, but really it's about the price for me (58p/m)

Anyone else have any cheapo options for whoopie slings?

Hammock
    Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I bought some cinch buckles off ebay with dyneema loops and they've been working just fine!

i find 2mm to be definitely too little, it's partly because of the mbs, but partly because of the sheer lack of volume (and thus the increased probability of catastrophic damage in use). for me, the weight and cost saving is not worth it. a pair of ucr's that serve up to 3m will cost about 4.5, let's say 5m of dyneema each to be conservative, that's 10bucks in total, saving 5bucks on something that should hold my weight above the ground, and that will be usable for a long time? mhh. and yes, i get it, if it's whoopie slings, that makes it double, so you'd save 10bucks. still not worth it imho. (i don't use whoopie slings, although ucrs need a bit of attention to not slide, they do work, and the waste of material the whoopie sling design forces, i find nearly offensive).

i use dyneema which is (allegedly) produced in germany, and is a little bit cheaper than the samson stuff, here in europe, so maybe check it out (i find it on amazon, typically sold as kanirope 3mm dyneema, i find it cheap enough and very easy to work with, the mbs rating makes me confortable and makes it usable for various things, including some softshackles usable even for "serious stuff"(TM), so i'm okay to order it in 100m spools and write it off as an extravagance (pay and forget, then i can play with dyneema for months ). the 3mm one linked is in fact compatible with the 7/64in/2.7mm samson amsteel in terms of weight, but it's actually stronger than that in terms of mbs (so keep in mind the diameter of these cords is quite a questionable thing, think of it as guideline rather than an accurate measurment, and look at mass/meter and mbs instead). this 3mm, at nearly 1eu/m, is still considerably cheaper than the 1gbp/m you quoted.. uggh, okay, something happened to the gbp, it's the same.

i guess the main point i'm making is: don't save on this, it has to do with safety, save on something else. i save on this by finding more uses for it, and buying more (so that the suspension components are just a minor fraction of what i do with dyneema), of course it just makes me feel better, it still costs what it costs. i find it worth every penny.

• + New Posts