WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Sierra Madre Research UQ on non SMR hammock

I got a good deal on a SMR 30° Inferno ($170) and trying it on an Eldorado. The fit seems really weird, probably because it's specifically designed for the Ninox. But could also be in a noob. My back is really toasty, but my feet are a cold spot. The suspension seems really tense already so drawing it tighter doesn't seem to make it more snug. Also the suspension on mine seems different than the current model with one pull strap. It's got multiple shock cord adjustments.

Anyone have experience with the Inferno on a non SMR hammock?
    Last edited by justinae; 08-30-2020 at 09:36.

Nope, but I’ve got a Ninox I can put into your hands, if you want to align the stars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by justinae View Post
    I got a good deal on a SMR 30° Inferno ($170) and trying it on an Eldorado. The fit seems really weird, probably because it's specifically designed for the Ninox. But could also be in a noob. My back is really toasty, but my feet are a cold spot. The suspension seems really tense already so drawing it tighter doesn't seem to make it more snug. Also the suspension on mine seems different than the current model with one pull strap. It's got multiple shock cord adjustments.

Anyone have experience with the Inferno on a non SMR hammock?
    I have the somewhat older model with the single strap on each end, the UQ is shaped about like a gathered end hammock. I have until recently only used it on on SMR hammocks, mainly the Claytor No Net, a 10 ft long hammock. I suggest not adjusting it too tight, just tight enough that- even after you have also cinched the side suspension up to snug it against your sides- it is just contacting your back. It is supposed to be a differential cut, but I'm not so sure. I think if you pull it too tight, you might be able to significantly compress the loft and lose some warmth.

Mine is usually plenty snug from butt to head, but if I sense a gap near the legs( I get that a lot with most full length UQs), I simply attach a thin piece of shock cord to one of the loops on the side of the uq, run the shock cord either either across the hammock above my legs, or up above the hammock's ridge line, and then attach to the UQ loop on the other side. It only requires a little bit of tension. Then I am usually snug- but not to snug- head to heels.

Spiguyver has a good review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9WAObQGIJE
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-01-2020 at 13:55.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I use my SMR underquilt on a Dream Hammock Sparrow. I had the underquilt hooks added on all of my hammocks. If you have these hooks connect the UQ from the hooks closest to the hammock ends on the same diagonal that you lay. It works perfectly for me.
    Dave

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroominDave View Post
    I use my SMR underquilt on a Dream Hammock Sparrow. I had the underquilt hooks added on all of my hammocks. If you have these hooks connect the UQ from the hooks closest to the hammock ends on the same diagonal that you lay. It works perfectly for me.
    Do you have a pic of this? I'm still fussing around.

Hammichael, man I know you still got me thinking about that Ninox. I'm still iffy on the stretchiness and how high the ridge line is. But I'm quickly realizing that it's best to get the bottom insulation from the same hammock maker as they seem to be the best puzzle piece fits.

Quote Originally Posted by justinae View Post
    Do you have a pic of this? I'm still fussing around.

Hammichael, man I know you still got me thinking about that Ninox. I'm still iffy on the stretchiness and how high the ridge line is. But I'm quickly realizing that it's best to get the bottom insulation from the same hammock maker as they seem to be the best puzzle piece fits.
    My extra Ninox is still up for grabs if you want it, Justinae!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    PM Sent

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have the somewhat older model with the single strap on each end, the UQ is shaped about like a gathered end hammock. I have until recently only used it on on SMR hammocks, mainly the Claytor No Net, a 10 ft long hammock. I suggest not adjusting it too tight, just tight enough that- even after you have also cinched the side suspension up to snug it against your sides- it is just contacting your back. It is supposed to be a differential cut, but I'm not so sure. I think if you pull it too tight, you might be able to significantly compress the loft and lose some warmth.

Mine is usually plenty snug from butt to head, but if I sense a gap near the legs( I get that a lot with most full length UQs), I simply attach a thin piece of shock cord to one of the loops on the side of the uq, run the shock cord either either across the hammock above my legs, or up above the hammock's ridge line, and then attach to the UQ loop on the other side. It only requires a little bit of tension. Then I am usually snug- but not to snug- head to heels.

Spiguyver has a good review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9WAObQGIJE
    Excuse me, I said: "I have until recently only used it on on SMR hammocks, mainly the Claytor No Net, a 10 ft long hammock.", hopefully it was obvious that what I meant was: "I have until recently only used it on NON SMR hammocks, mainly the Claytor No Net".

You say : "Also the suspension on mine seems different than the current model with one pull strap." So, it sounds like yours is the same as mine, the version 1, the original, with one elastic strap on each pointed end?
    Like this?

Anyway, like I said previously, I used it mostly on my hammocks I already had before the Ninox came out, brands other then SMR. The main reason I got the Ninox was because I felt it would fit in a more custom fashion. Personally, I don't think there is any real advantage. It fits fine in the torso area with the other hammocks, and if I have any problems in the legs I just run a thin piece of shock cord from one side of the UQ, up over the hammock or ridge line, to the other side of the hammock, snug it up a bit, and that takes care of it. The key for me is to not snug it too tight on the ends, just enough for back contact.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You say : "Also the suspension on mine seems different than the current model with one pull strap." So, it sounds like yours is the same as mine, the version 1, the original, with one elastic strap on each pointed end?
    Like this?
    No mine doesn't have the strap. It has three shock cords. Two to the sides and one to the middle.

• + New Posts