Tarp
    HG Palace Tarp 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Strap, MH, Whoopie

My First MYOG Hammock

Hello All,

After converting my HH BULA suspension with continuous loops and whoopie sling suspension, I have decided to try to make as much of my own gear moving forward as possible. While I have been using the HH for a while, I have never gotten completely comfortable. I have spent countless hours here and youtubing trying to hone my hanging skills and then setting up my hammock to try different things. I am 5'6" and looking to get a nice consistent flat lay without calf ridge and squeezing in my shoulders.

RESEARCH CLARIFICATION:

I heard there was a theory that your hammocks length should be 4' longer than you.

Your Ridgeline should be 83.33 % of your hammocks length.

That the sewn on bug net is what determines Asym vs Sym, but there us no difference in how they lay.

Attached side tie outs are not necessary.

Based on the Hammock Hang Calculator there is no difference between a 9'6" hammock and a 10' one

Building Materials:

Looking at getting everything from Dutchwear

4 Yards Hexon 1.6
    ?? YKK Coil Zipper (by the Foot)
    2 or 4 YKK #3 Double Zipper Tabs
    4 ?? Nano NoseeUm bug netting
    2 Spools Gutermann Tera 80 Thread
    ZingIt for ridgeline

Trying To Figure Out:

I have seen Knotty's post about a bungee sided hammock and gathered end hammock construction. I am trying to figure out if I understand what the bungee side actually does. Seems like it helps create a foot box and remove extra fabric material. Also can I just use ZingIt or Amsteel CL thru the gathered end, or do I have to whip the end and larks head the CL.

I would like to have a sewn on bug net, but I would like some insight on the Asym vs Sym hammock style, and if it does in fact make a difference. Based on what I have seen no huge weight difference for zippering both sides. Looking for recommendations if anyone has had issues with one side or double sided access? Also how long of a zipper I might need

I would also like a ridgeline organizer like on the HH and have seen patterns for making these, but have been also trying to figure out if I could add a shelf like the Warbonnet Blackbird. I seem to always have things floating around the hammock floor, it would be nice to have the extra storage and organization.

My goals would be to create my own DIY Hammock that also weights less than my current HH at 27oz if at all possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first attempt at making my own gear. I have been watching Ripstop By The Rolls videos and many others on sewing and practicing the art of gear making. I will be purchasing a sewing machine hopefully tomorrow. Looking at used vintage Sears Kenmore Machines. And creating more of my own gear. Happy to share outcomes and patterns created.

Quote Originally Posted by McMoser View Post
    I have decided to try to make as much of my own gear moving forward as possible...snip...My goals would be to create my own DIY Hammock that also weights less than my current HH at 27oz if at all possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first attempt at making my own gear.
    I've made a couple of hammocks without having much knowledge or skill, so you'll probably do fine. You asked for suggestions, so here's a couple:

Check out forum member Jellyfish's videos. She'll give you great ideas and techniques including the Knotty mod: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCis...Hk0hyKBcdsckZw

If you want to save weight on the hammock, I liked the MTN 1.3 fabric from Ripstop by the Roll. In fact, all my DIY stuff comes from them and I'd highly recommend them as a source with quick shipping and good prices. The hammock I made from this fabric is a couple of inches under 11 feet in length and weighs 10 ounces, including the ridgeline and end loops. There are some photos of it, and another hammock I made, on my Instagram page, though you'll have to scroll back to November or December to find them.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Your project is manifestly more ambitious than any I've yet undertaken. Hat's off to you.

At the risk of sounding presumptuous, I'll offer a few observations based on my limited experience (I've made two GE hammocks, a UQP, a Fronkey-style bugnet, a gear hammock/camp chair, several different suspension systems, and CDQ top and bottom insulation. I've bought a good UQ for cold weather and a good silnylon winter tarp).

My second hammock is made with 1.6 Hexon from RBTR. I like it. It's at least a bit more comfortable (and lighter) than the milsurp ripstop nylon I used for my first attempt.

The Fronkey bugnet can be removed for trips when/where bugs won't be a problem. There's probably a weight penalty for all the extra noseeum netting, but there are no zippers, which may offset that a bit.

I run Amsteel CLs through the channels and don't larkshead them: I just connect them with soft shackles. (This lets me choose whether to connect the suspension to the SS or to the CL ends, in tight spaces. I connect directly to my tree straps with a farrimond friction hitch).

I use Amsteel--a modified whoopie with maybe a foot of adjustability--for my CRL. Another weight penalty here, but it allows me to fine tune the length (obviously) and also gives me a convenient handhold for dragging my lazy self back up and out.

Here's hoping you may find something useful in this post, and wishing you all best in your endeavors.

• + New Posts