Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz

The Full-timer's Indoor Pillow - Buckwheat hulls?

Hi there,

I have been full-time for a very long time now, and have been an off again and on again pillow user in my Mayan hammock indoor. In trying to stay eco-friendly, I've recently come across buckwheat hull pillows. They are known for cradling your head, but usually on a flat mattress or tatami mat. I am wondering if anyone else has tried one in a hammock, and if so, what size you use? At 2lb - 5lb they are way too heavy to backpack with, but at home..., would they work in a hammock?

Thanks!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Hi there,

I have been full-time for a very long time now, and have been an off again and on again pillow user in my Mayan hammock indoor. In trying to stay eco-friendly, I've recently come across buckwheat hull pillows. They are known for cradling your head, but usually on a flat mattress or tatami mat. I am wondering if anyone else has tried one in a hammock, and if so, what size you use? At 2lb - 5lb they are way too heavy to backpack with, but at home..., would they work in a hammock?

Thanks!
    They are all I’ve used at home in the hammock since 2013, and since the 90s when I still slept in beds. I use small kidney-shaped cervical ones, loosely filled, washable cotton covers. They are simply perfect. I miss them when I camp with a small inflatable for weight and space reasons.

Every few years I wash and dry the hulls in a mesh bag since they must pick up a lot of body oil, though they’ve never smelled or anything. I still have the original hulls from my 1990s bed pillows so I’m ready for the buckwheat hull apocalypse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    They are all I’ve used at home in the hammock since 2013, and since the 90s when I still slept in beds. I use small kidney-shaped cervical ones, loosely filled, washable cotton covers. They are simply perfect. I miss them when I camp with a small inflatable for weight and space reasons.

Every few years I wash and dry the hulls in a mesh bag since they must pick up a lot of body oil, though they’ve never smelled or anything. I still have the original hulls from my 1990s bed pillows so I’m ready for the buckwheat hull apocalypse.

Oh! Thanks for the quick reply!

Would you mind telling me which brand you have? I mostly see rectangle and straight tube shapes.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Oh! Thanks for the quick reply!

Would you mind telling me which brand you have? I mostly see rectangle and straight tube shapes.
    Presently using these: https://www.pillowcompany.com/suppor...s/neck-pillow/

Long ago I had one with a terry cover I preferred, but I can’t now find similar in cotton.

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Presently using these: https://www.pillowcompany.com/suppor...s/neck-pillow/

Long ago I had one with a terry cover I preferred, but I can’t now find similar in cotton.

Thanks so much, Latherdome! That helps a lot!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Thanks so much, Latherdome! That helps a lot!
    There are some decent looking ones on Etsy right now too. No experience but at least one much cheaper with a hemp cover I expect will last longer than the thin cotton ones I have now. About 3-4 years of nightly and they’re prone to rip.

--

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I will keep that in mind. I never thought they would rip! All those hulls all over the place! Yikes!

• + New Posts