The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief

The Australian bush, a 60-minute train ride from Sydney

I live in central Sydney, don't own a car, and catch trains to go camping in the bush. Yesterday I took a 60-minute train-ride south, and then a 30-minute walk, and ended up here, my hammock perched on the edge of a rocky outcrop above a beautiful fresh-water creek.

IMG_20200829_125040.jpg IMG_20200829_124837.jpg IMG_20200829_124934.jpg

Apart from the strange animals roaming at night and making alarming noises, I had the whole place to myself.

PANO_20200829_125519.vr.jpg PANO_20200829_130055.vr.jpg IMG_20200829_125428.jpg

This is probably the easiest "wild" spot for transit-based camping in Sydney. There's heaps of others, including multi-day walks. North, west and south, Sydney is surrounded by wild bush.

Trekking Treez

This was the first time I used my Trekking Tree (from TensaOutdoors). I have only one as I figure I can always find a single tree. I didn't use stakes because there was large rock and a small tree conveniently located for the two anchoring ropes. These were very solid, and I quickly forgot that one end of my hammock was being held up by a trekking pole. It felt the same as a tree.

IMG_20200828_143524.jpg IMG_20200828_143555.jpg

However my one big fear about the Trekking Tree is the ground anchoring. The ground in Australia tends to be very rocky and filled with large surface-level tree roots. It would be a rare site where I could drive in those big stakes.

I have given up on using the Trekking Tree tarp extension. With only one Trekking Tree it adds a bunch of complexity for not much benefit. If I need more headroom I can connect the tarp higher on the tree at the other end. That's what I did here. I can see how the tarp extensions make more sense if you're using Trekking Treez at each end.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Thank you for sharing pics from your part of the world. Looks quite pretty, wild, and secluded. I live in a place with abundant trees, but the Trekking Trees are a very interesting take on a hammock stand.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Lovely spot for a overnighter.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Beautiful spot for a hang. Thanks for sharing a bit of your country.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Great report and thanks for sharing. I too am at the mercy of trains to get me to places but fortunately there are mountains very close by and I can get to the trail head from my door in an hr.

Curious about the TT stands. They look very interesting and I can think of a couple situations to use them. How are they as trekking poles? They look heavy, non-adjustable (and I’m partial to cork handles).

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by alt.thomas View Post
    Great report and thanks for sharing. I too am at the mercy of trains to get me to places but fortunately there are mountains very close by and I can get to the trail head from my door in an hr.

Curious about the TT stands. They look very interesting and I can think of a couple situations to use them. How are they as trekking poles? They look heavy, non-adjustable (and I’m partial to cork handles).
    The trekking treez are indeed heavy. They are adjustable in increments of about 4 cm. They have foam grips - no cork.

I use a regular trekking pole in my left hand, and a TT in my (stronger) right hand. The extra weight doesn't really bother me, and I kinda like the totally stiff strength of the TT when descending as I can put all my weight on it with zero fear of it snapping or bending.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    The trekking treez are indeed heavy. They are adjustable in increments of about 4 cm. They have foam grips - no cork.

I use a regular trekking pole in my left hand, and a TT in my (stronger) right hand. The extra weight doesn't really bother me, and I kinda like the totally stiff strength of the TT when descending as I can put all my weight on it with zero fear of it snapping or bending.
    Thanks for the info. Just noticed your handle... LOL, something I hear my soon to be teenage daughter mumble every so often.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by alt.thomas View Post
    ...Just noticed your handle... LOL, something I hear my soon to be teenage daughter mumble every so often.
    Heh, legacy from living in Japan for a few years more than a decade ago. I was up in Tochigi-ken, near the mountains, and did a lot of snowboarding. Wasn't into hiking/camping at the time though, which was a bit of a missed opportunity...

Images
    Very cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That's a nice spot! We don't see many posts including the Trekking Trees, so thanks for that also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast