Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If I lived in an apartment-condo, I’d buy or build a portable stand and remove it along with hammock after each use. Maybe that would be best...I don’t know!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    If I lived in an apartment-condo, I’d buy or build a portable stand and remove it along with hammock after each use. Maybe that would be best...I don’t know!
    Gotta promote the bipod stand whenever I can. I love it!! Kudos to the original poster years ago:

Super simple, strong, fairly cheap, very quick bipod style stand.

Nothing fancy, nothing to mess with or tweak. Just keep it in 3 (maybe 4) pieces and put together in a couple minutes when needed.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Gotta promote the bipod stand whenever I can. I love it!! Kudos to the original poster years ago:

Super simple, strong, fairly cheap, very quick bipod style stand.

Nothing fancy, nothing to mess with or tweak. Just keep it in 3 (maybe 4) pieces and put together in a couple minutes when needed.
    Thanks for all the ideas. The Tato stand and Tensa stands look good. Issue here is availability in Sweden. All the stands you can buy just seem to be for recreational use, with not too much thought about portability, size etc. DIY would be the way to go I suppose. But still working on ideas to support the suspension from inside the window frame.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    Ignore the pessimists, I say it's a great idea and totally workable. You've done the homework on strap heights and suspension angles, so go for it.

I've done a few extra long hangs (at least 30 feet) using one tree whose base is much higher than the other. I've had a 6" inch suspension at one end, and a 30 foot suspension at the other end. It works fine.

The tree is a little spindly, but probably ok. If the two parts of the trunk are more-or-less in line with your hang, you could use a separate piece of webbing to connect the two trunks together, and then attach your hammock webbing to the "front" trunk. Both trunks will then be bearing the weight. It'd be a bit of a hassle to rig up each time though.

Alternatively...nobody will notice an eye-bolt in the exterior wall, and if they do you can plead innocence or simply beg for forgiveness
    Reporting back. I first decided to try a couple of eye bolts either side on the inside of the window frame with the idea to hang the suspension in a triangle out the window. But there wasn’t enough space/concrete on the left hand side and I should have stopped when I saw the wall bulging. But of course I didn’t and was pulling on the suspension just to see, and rather predictably tore the anchor out the wall with a chunk of window frame. Good job the apartment is old with rough style plastering so my repair looks ok (can’t see it in the photo at least)

So I went back to the original plan and fortunately the far wall is brick, so despite getting brick dust everywhere, the eye bolt seems very solid. To provide some support for the tree, there is a concrete fence behind with wooden posts bolted to it, so I used the other tree hugger round the tree and ran some rope around the post behind.

Slept out there last night. I’m sure there are tweaks to the setup I could do, and probably a hammock stand is easier (I’ll put it on my Christmas list), but the suspension angles seemed ok and I’m happy with the result.

Last edited by Themasterpiece; 09-16-2020 at 00:22.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Themasterpiece, congratulations, thinking outside the box!
    Here’s hoping there are no charges from apartment management.
    It looks like a success, but Phantom still skeeerd.
    Thanks for sharing.

The idea is excellent, but I can also recommend building a swing and attaching it to the tree so that children can also play and ride on the swings. The hammock will probably have to be removed, at least because of the rain, and the swings can not be touched. Nothing will happen to them anyway. And on the hammock, only in certain seasons can lie down. I can only advise a rope for the swing because you need a strong so that nothing happens to the children. I bought mine at https://www.growgardener.com/best-rope-for-tree-swing/ so that you can get it from there. I was delighted with their quality.
    Last edited by AllanLisa; 07-04-2021 at 07:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12