HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider

Back yard - tree to inside apartment suspension

Hello all, hoping to get some input on my plan to hang a hammock in the yard space for occasional hanging (not permanent).

I live in an city centre apartment (I guess a condo is the closest US comparison) that has a communal yard area with some lawn, trees, decking etc. My apartment is on the ground floor looking out the back and there’s one tree outside that I’m thinking I can hang one end of the hammock from. I’m pretty sure my neighbours (and the housing board) won’t like me drilling holes in the outside walls for an eye-bolt. But they can’t stop me from putting an eye-bolt on an inside wall in my apartment, and the suspension can go through the window (window will be open, obviously). Perhaps someone may complain about the actual hammock hanging but I’ll cross that bridge if it comes. Thing is, it’s a pretty long distance - by my calculation around 9 m (nearly 30 ft).

It looks doable though with some long straps/dyneema on one side. Anyone spot any problems with my cunning plan?

3B56D4C8-D1B8-429A-BA77-02885FD12F2D.jpeg

F910EE2A-8638-493E-A969-1828A05088A1.jpeg

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That looks completely unworkable. You should check out the Hammock Hang Calculator.

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

For a 30 ft. span, your tree straps will need to be mounted at 121 inches, which is 10 ft. I seriously doubt your interior walls are 10 ft. high, so that presents a problem. Additionally, the tree you're looking at is incredibly scrawny, and likely can't handle the stress of a span that will likely be at a 15* angle, at best.

While I have hung between anchors 30 ft. apart, I have always maintained a 30* angle, so my tree straps, hammmock and suspension were not under the stress you're considering.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    As an alternative, check out the Tensa Solo from Tensa Outdoor, as that might be an option that could work for your living situation.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Buy or build a portable hammock stand.
    Or you can hang off your one tree and use a bipod or tripod stand on other end, maybe 15 feet from tree and run amsteel rest of way to your condo window to sturdy up your rig.
    I think other posters are right, 30 feet is a bit far to hang unless you can go extra high on both ends so that your hang angle is close to 30*
    Let us know how it turns out
    Ok, I hope!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That looks completely unworkable. You should check out the Hammock Hang Calculator.

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

For a 30 ft. span, your tree straps will need to be mounted at 121 inches, which is 10 ft. I seriously doubt your interior walls are 10 ft. high, so that presents a problem. Additionally, the tree you're looking at is incredibly scrawny, and likely can't handle the stress of a span that will likely be at a 15* angle, at best.

While I have hung between anchors 30 ft. apart, I have always maintained a 30* angle, so my tree straps, hammmock and suspension were not under the stress you're considering.
    It’s an old building so the ceilings are nearly 10 ft high, and around 12 ft relative to the outside ground level. Distance and angles are on the diagram, using the ultimate hang calculator. Yes not the largest tree. Here’s a better photo below. What do you think?

CF406829-D2A4-43ED-BF59-252DE96EB354.jpg

Didn’t consider a hammock stand as I assumed most were permanent and I can’t leave it out there. But some like that Tensa solo or a bipod or tripod on one end is a good idea. Will investigate.

Thanks for the input!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That's a spindly-looking tree.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Ignore the pessimists, I say it's a great idea and totally workable. You've done the homework on strap heights and suspension angles, so go for it.

I've done a few extra long hangs (at least 30 feet) using one tree whose base is much higher than the other. I've had a 6" inch suspension at one end, and a 30 foot suspension at the other end. It works fine.

The tree is a little spindly, but probably ok. If the two parts of the trunk are more-or-less in line with your hang, you could use a separate piece of webbing to connect the two trunks together, and then attach your hammock webbing to the "front" trunk. Both trunks will then be bearing the weight. It'd be a bit of a hassle to rig up each time though.

Alternatively...nobody will notice an eye-bolt in the exterior wall, and if they do you can plead innocence or simply beg for forgiveness

Why not a 2x4 across the inside of the window (and the walls) as an attachment point instead of the eye bolt?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'd recommend one of the Tato stand kits and build your stand that will fit in that area just fine.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ta...ock-stand-kit/

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    Why not a 2x4 across the inside of the window (and the walls) as an attachment point instead of the eye bolt?
    Yes, I’ve been thinking about that option too over the weekend. Either a 2x4 or steel tube (round or square section). Wanted to do some bending strength calculations. I’m a mechanical engineer but forgot everything about Young’s modulus and moments of inertia. I guess if you can put it between some bricks and jump up and down on it, should be fine for a 30 degree hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast