one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    The issue is that the doors, on the inside will pull in a straight line and yet the tarp is not in a straight line because the poles are pulling it out.

Inside pole mods negate this effect since the shock cord can go under the poles and hold the lines/doors out against the tarp.

The only solution I can see is to add some inside tie-outs to attach your doors to.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Thank you, exactly.

Just back from a couple nights out on a rare chance to see my favorite mtns w/ some snow on them, . . . that's right southern Arizona & snow.

I'm starting to think that adding segments to my poles so that I can use them internally as well might be the solution I need.
    We did come up w/ another issue on this trip. We hang double and after setting up w/ our one tree side 3/4 into the wind w/ the doors closed and our spread end having the door staked out straight in line w/ the rest of the tarp we felt like we were good. But once the freezing rain stopped and it started snowing the wind died and a light breeze came from our open end. That breeze started carrying the snow right in . . . not something we'd ever experienced w/ rain. Of course there was no way I could think of to get that end closed.
    Ended up grabbing a space blanket and rigging up an end closure.

Now we think we're need to make an end wall that we can add in as needed. I haven't seen anything like this being offered from a vendor.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    And what about when you want to use the doors on one end but not the other? Now I have a set of doors but nowhere to clip them back to . . .
    I have a tiny prussik loop on my tarp CRL for that purpose. The mitten hooks on my shock cord door tie outs clip to that when one end is closed up.

Hear ya on the space taken inside the tarp when clipped under the tarp but it hasn't been a big issue for me. Still have more room than without pulling up sides and the cords make a good spot to hang socks, bandanas, etc to dry.

--Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Tried that as well, both on my hammock ridgeline and on the tarps. I guess the main reason that the doors to the inside taking up space is a bit problematic is that we hang double most of the time. So that inside space is an important commodity and I'm definitely not going to tell her to go hang somewhere else if she's willing to hang almost as much as I do but wants to be under the same tarp.
    So at this point I'm looking to save up for a bigger tarp and add some segments to my poles so that I can use them internally and tuck the doors behind the poles when open.

Thank you everyone!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My HG DCF standard w/ doors came with ties (strips of DCF) to hold the doors after you roll them up. Similar to Shug's suggestion but lighter and you can't lose them. In fact, you can pretty much forget about them until you need them. I prefer the shock cord option i use on my Palace, but the ties might be a quick, low- cost option for you. Just roll up the doors, then sew a 10- inch section of line, rip- stop, or whatever to the tarp at the point on the tarp you want your doors held. Sew the center point to the tarp so you have 2 strings to tie together. I would use 2 lines per door. Side benefit: neither side gets wet in rain while rolled up.

--Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    My HG DCF standard w/ doors came with ties (strips of DCF) to hold the doors after you roll them up. Similar to Shug's suggestion but lighter and you can't lose them. In fact, you can pretty much forget about them until you need them. I prefer the shock cord option i use on my Palace, but the ties might be a quick, low- cost option for you. Just roll up the doors, then sew a 10- inch section of line, rip- stop, or whatever to the tarp at the point on the tarp you want your doors held. Sew the center point to the tarp so you have 2 strings to tie together. I would use 2 lines per door. Side benefit: neither side gets wet in rain while rolled up.

That's a nice one! I did like Shug's suggestion but figured I have enough loseable bits between the two of us that more might not be the solution.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    That's a nice one! I did like Shug's suggestion but figured I have enough loseable bits between the two of us that more might not be the solution.
    The clips just live in my tarp stuff sack. Yet to lose one.
    My DIY winter tarp has the ties backs...

Tarp-Flaps-tied-back by Sean Emery, on Flickr
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The clips just live in my tarp stuff sack. Yet to lose one.
    Well you may not be as skilled as we are.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I usually do it like tsshaw does also. On my TarpTent Notch Li they use magnets and that also does the trick, I added that to my DCF tarps with success. Beats fiddling with the door ties.

The experience that you had above while it was snowing is certainly an issue when using a spreader bar. I tried a ton of things to prevent it but with the swing of the spreaders you are very limited. The best I came up with to clip a piece of Silpoly to the ends of the spreader and then the corner of the tarp with shock cord. It eliminated most but definitely not all. Nowadays we just hang the hammocks right tight to each other. It is certainly not for every couple but we are close sleepers. It also shares the warmth in winter while being able to close the doors on both ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tie-backs or toggles-and-loops have been used with great success on tent rainflies for years. I'm not sure if I'd want to sew them on if there's not a seam along the "fold" that defines the outer edge of the doors. With many tarps, it is simply in the middle of the fabric. Not sure I'd want to put any stitching there. On a seam, I wouldn't hesitate.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would agree if it was taking a load, but it's just keeping fabric rolled up. Maybe use backing. You would want to seal the stitching, of course.

--Scott <><

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast