WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave

Tarp Door Managment?

How do y'all secure your tarp doors? I plan to add a length of shock cord to keep them closed/open on my Superfly but would like to see some of the things others are doing before cutting up my cord, pics would be helpful.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just use Zing-It 1.75 mm - don't see the need for shock cord.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Sorry no pics, but I like having a length of skinny shock cord w/a mitten hook on each. Stake out thru the hole of the mitten hook or hook the two mitten hooks together (right to right, left to left) inside the tarp for deployment if needed. I always clip the "tabs / gates" off the mitten hooks (on EVERYTHING) so they go together / come apart easily.

I switched from an HG Palace to the WB Mountainfly so I just clip the doors together on top when not deployed - which for me, is typically just when setting up camp.

Images
    While certainly not necessary, this is an interesting apparatus (wow, they actually call it that, lol). https://zpacks.com/products/double-hook-apparatus-1

Especially handy for occasions when you expect to keep the doors closed most of the time, but want to easily open one for entry/exit. Works well with elastic or static cord.

For times when you want to manage the doors separately (many reasons why you might want to do this), it's handy to have separate lines for each door. There are pros and cons to using elastic cord on doors, so I'd recommend you try each a few times and decide which you prefer. One thing I do like about it is you can just stretch the door panel out of the way to get in/out. But then if it's windy, they flap as they're buffeted by gusts. Always tradeoffs in life.

There are many posts on the forum with explanations and photos of some clever door management setups. As always, you can count on cmoulder for clever minimalist suggestions. Here's one where he shows a method of managing the doors without extra stakes.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1949020
    Last edited by cmc4free; 08-26-2020 at 16:17.

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts/Pads
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    [QUOTE=cmc4free;2029372]While certainly not necessary, this is an interesting apparatus (wow, they actually call it that, lol). https://zpacks.com/products/double-hook-apparatus-1

I just received some of those hooks this week; I’ll try them out over the weekend.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I use shock cord hooks and reflective cord. Works okay. I use enough cord to tie doors together or connect around the end trees.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    in Winter most of the time my doors aren't even open. as mentioned in my other comment on your other post, I pitch my tarp at stand under height, so the tarp itself is high enough that I can duck under it even with snowshoes on. my doors are usually staked out into a v with a single shared guyline, arrange such that I can unclip one side of it if I want, but I almost never do because it screws up the tension the whole tarp.

in summer i stake it out open, with what would be the doors being used as roof panels. I usually don't need or want to close the doors in the summer. even when the remnants of the hurricane came through a few weeks ago I didn't have to close my doors. this is not to say that I havent had moments where I was glad I could close the doors, only pointing out that folding them back is kind of a waste when they can be part of your roof instead

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I followed these instructions:

adventurealan.com

It works very well for me!

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Wish you could give a thumbs up on here... lol. Thanks for the info guys, looks like y'all are pretty much doing something similar to what I'm thinking only instead of running straight shock cord I am considering using a Prusik to connect the Zing It I already have on the doors to the 1/8" reflective cord I have to make an adjustable line but no clue if it'll work with shock cord.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunckelman View Post
    I followed these instructions:

adventurealan.com

It works very well for me!
    Same here...just be sure to alternate the placement of male/female parts of the side release buckles so you can both close off the doors in hunker-down storm mode and tie them back in fair weather mode.

20191206_153657.jpg
    20191206_153706.jpg
    20191206_153734.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast