Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Before I switched to DCF, I would cut a 2.5" square piece of clear tenacious tape (makes sure you by the 'sil' version as it has silicon adhesive), & sew a loop or toggle to it, then affix anywhere I like. I'd make em in batches in case I needed any in the future. This is probably overkill for door closure, but worked very well for other mods, & meant I could apply in the field. For DCF users, these are available pre-made from companies like Zpacks.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have a small loop of shock cord on each door.From each corner of the tarp I tie a piece of Zinget with a prussik slip knot which holds a mitten hook.Applying the hook to the shock cord and then tightening the slip knot will pull those doors TIGHT.

Unless the weather is cold and windy one end of the tarp will be left open with the doors tied back.If they get to flapping too much in the night it's not too much of an issue to close them.....

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    I usually do it like tsshaw does also. On my TarpTent Notch Li they use magnets and that also does the trick, I added that to my DCF tarps with success. Beats fiddling with the door ties.

The experience that you had above while it was snowing is certainly an issue when using a spreader bar. I tried a ton of things to prevent it but with the swing of the spreaders you are very limited. The best I came up with to clip a piece of Silpoly to the ends of the spreader and then the corner of the tarp with shock cord. It eliminated most but definitely not all. Nowadays we just hang the hammocks right tight to each other. It is certainly not for every couple but we are close sleepers. It also shares the warmth in winter while being able to close the doors on both ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nice to know that we're not the only ones that like to sleep slammed together.
    Tried a spreader bar last year and didn't like it much, since then we've just used the same trees, or if the trees are small, like in the desert where we spend most of our time, I'll do the "one tree" set up using a pole and share a tree at the other end. The bar just moves around way too much to close the tarp up well.
    I do like the magnet idea. Adding it to my list of "maybe" solutions.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by drtolo View Post
    Before I switched to DCF, I would cut a 2.5" square piece of clear tenacious tape (makes sure you by the 'sil' version as it has silicon adhesive), & sew a loop or toggle to it, then affix anywhere I like. I'd make em in batches in case I needed any in the future. This is probably overkill for door closure, but worked very well for other mods, & meant I could apply in the field. For DCF users, these are available pre-made from companies like Zpacks.
    That's an idea!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    One small variation on the theme I'm seeing here that I tried for door management:

My 12' HG DCF tarp has built-in door tie backs that weigh zilch, but there are other potential configurations I wanted to be able to solve for in terms of full door management (e.g., porch mode, low and tight, open, closed, etc.). On each Beastee D-ring at the corner tie-out points, I rigged a Dutchware fleaz and a side-release buckle end on a 3" loop of 1.75 mm Lash-it. That allows me to attach 1.75mm Zing-it tie out lines to the Fleaz, and some 1/8" camo shock cord to the other side of the side-release buckle.
    tie out points.jpg
    Of course if you position the female and male ends of the buckle correctly, that also allows you to attach the doors to each other with the connecting point on the buckle being in the center of the tarp (above it or below it). But really, IMHO door management only truly matters when you're trying to close off your tarp to the elements. The challenge - as I see it - is to enable the doors to "flex" their position in relation to the angle of your pitch.
    tarp.jpg

To accommodate the need to deploy doors at multiple angles, heres what I did: On the Beastee D-Rings on the door ends, I put another continuous loop of 1.75mm Lash-it attached to a Dutchware Slide Lock (https://dutchwaregear.com/product/slide-lock/) which the shock cord is ran through for adjustability. This allows me to tighten the shock cord easily to enable the doors to be deployed at a wide range of angles of tarp pitch.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    This is what I did. Works well.

Attachment 182109
    Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pictures of binder clip on my Superfly.....

Superfly clip.jpg

binder.jpg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345