one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Question about folding the doors to the outside,
    do you find that they catch the wind? We have windy conditions quite often, just had some up to 22mph this morning, so I've avoided putting them on the outside. But if I'm using poles over the top for the pull-outs then having them on the inside wastes loads of space.
    The other thing I was trying to avoid was having them on the outside and it starts raining . . . now the "inside" of the doors are wet . . . and I have to go outside to close them.

And what about when you want to use the doors on one end but not the other? Now I have a set of doors but nowhere to clip them back to . . .

Guess that was more than "a question".

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sounds like your doors are hanging loose when inside. I have shock-cord on mine with length to hook two (on the same side) together. If they were hanging loose in that configuration, I’d shorten the shock-cord until it was tight enough so that they were out of the way. The shock-cord would still be used to close the doors.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Cougarmeat - it's not that they are loose, it's that the poles pull the sides out but the doors are still a straight line when connected together. At that point we may as well have the tarp in a basic A pitch and forget the poles.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I suspect if the poles were on the inside, then the doors could be attached between the poles and the tarp? That would keep them back out of the space.

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    I just clip mine back to the tarp corners. They are loose and flap a bit but it doesn't bother me. Then closing the doors is easy because the connections are pretty much where I need them.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > it's that the poles pull the sides out but the doors are still a straight line when connected together.

I’m sorry - I can’t picture this. What I’m imagining is, first, the tarp with the doors folded back on the outside. Poles over the ridgeline hold out/up the panel pulls. the doors are wrangled by connecting the shock-cord on their D-rings together about mid tarp (left side to left side, right side to right side). I have mitten hooks (tongue broken off) on the shock-cord ends.

You are saying you don’t want them on the outside so the next step is to just fold them to the inside of the tarp instead of the outside. The shock-cord has enough pull that the doors are still held against the body of the tarp sides.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    The issue is that the doors, on the inside will pull in a straight line and yet the tarp is not in a straight line because the poles are pulling it out.

Inside pole mods negate this effect since the shock cord can go under the poles and hold the lines/doors out against the tarp.

The only solution I can see is to add some inside tie-outs to attach your doors to.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Question about folding the doors to the outside,
    do you find that they catch the wind? We have windy conditions quite often, just had some up to 22mph this morning, so I've avoided putting them on the outside. But if I'm using poles over the top for the pull-outs then having them on the inside wastes loads of space.
    The other thing I was trying to avoid was having them on the outside and it starts raining . . . now the "inside" of the doors are wet . . . and I have to go outside to close them.

And what about when you want to use the doors on one end but not the other? Now I have a set of doors but nowhere to clip them back to . . .

Guess that was more than "a question".
    I roll my doors or door and use a large binder clips to hold it back. Works well for me as I never liked them tied back.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

When battening down the hatches, I simply stake out the guy lines in opposite directions so they cross each other & are nice & tight. For nice weather, I added stick on mitten hooks to the inside of my tarp so I can use the same guy lines to attach & tighten the doors down. I'm a bit ocd about flapping..

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I roll my doors or door and use a large binder clips to hold it back. Works well for me as I never liked them tied back.
    Shug
    You, sir, are a mad man.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast