Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by egothrasher View Post
    I am looking into getting a tarp for a hammock setup. I am really liking the Tarp with doors setup. The issue I am seeing with almost all the tarps though, is that they are max 10-11 feet wide. Thus, only offering around 5 feet on each side of the guy line. If you were to hang this, say at 6 feet so you have standing room under, then the tarp doesn't reach the floor. On the other hand, if you do set the height as to where the tarp touches the ground, you have to crouch to stay underneath it.
    Why do you want the tarp to go to the ground? Weather protection? Privacy? Depending on your goals, there may be better options. Keep in mind that ventilation is one of the primary benefits of a tarp over a tent.

I find that when under a lower tarp, instead of "crouching" I just sit in the hammock. Aside from the initial setup & teardown, I do not need to "stand" under the tarp.

DD Tarp XL is 10ft x 15ft (3m x 4.5m).

Aqua Quest has a 10ft x 13ft option in the Safari, Guide, and Defender series.

Quote Originally Posted by egothrasher View Post
    Length wise, 16' is overkill, 12-13' is perfect. So, I came across the WB Superfly, which is almost perfect. I just wish it was wider, so you could pitch it at head height and have it come down to the ground.

So, is there a tarp like the Superfly but wider? I believe the superfly comes down 5 feet on each side, if it were to be 8 feet, that would be perfect.

There may not be a tarp like that, so may just have to stick with the Noah 16.
    I think the tarps from DD Hammocks are a great way to get a bit more coverage. They have a number of square tarps. In meters they have 3x3, 3.5x3.5, 4x4, and even 5x5. The 4x4 meters is 13x13 feet, so close to the kind of thing you wanted. It sounds like they're also very nice tarps. I'm planning to get a 3.5x3.5 or a 4x4 when they're back in stock in September.
    DD Hammocks - All Tarps
    Last edited by ksing44; 08-29-2020 at 13:48.

Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    ... he always ended up going back to the ways that all the old guys were doing it. people do things the way they do them for a reason.

I always thought this was pretty wise for someone who is younger than me. but then I realized too, that the only way to come up with new things is to take a risk and try.
    That is very wise to realize that actually. There's a nice experiment showing why the old guys probably don't try new things but the new guys do, but usually not for long. And personally I find it a very memorable story that makes it easy to explain to 'the old guys' why it's totally OK to question the status quo from time to time. In fact, it's a great thing!

---------

There was an experiment conducted in the 50's with four monkeys. They were all locked inside of a cage. Ralph, George, Henry and Bob. Near the end of the cage was placed a ramp with a rope, at the top of the ramp was placed a banana.

When they all saw it they all rushed at once to climb the rope, fighting, kicking and screeching. Ralph was the first to make it half-way up the rope, at which point he was sprayed back down by a man just outside the cage with ice cold water from a fire hose. Then he sprayed the other three too as punishment. After all four were sprayed. George attempted to go next, he climbed almost 2/3's of the way up before he was sprayed off by the same man outside the cage. Then as reciprocation the other three were sprayed yet again for George's endeavor.

Henry and Bob both hesitated knowing they would be sprayed yet again even twice by the man outside the cage, but alas they both fought to go next, Henry being big, able and pretty smart got almost to the top when he was sprayed off by the man. Then as the other three expected they received the same punishment.

Bob looked on at the man outside the cage, hesitant seeing that Ralph, George and Henry no longer wanted to climb the rope, he was unsure whether the banana would even be worth getting sprayed. Whether out of dumb ambition or pure illogical persistence, he went for it and was sprayed off the instant he got on the rope. Then the man sprayed all four of them with double the amount of ice cold water.

Now all four of them looked on at the man outside the cage soaking wet, their heads down, and at the banana, not having experienced what it would have been like to have it, they moved on to the other side of the cage and went to sleep.

The man then took Ralph out and introduced a new monkey a few weeks later to the group. The monkey's name was Charles, Charles having no idea of what took place prior to his arrival saw the banana and saw the group lulling in the corner of the cage and thought "Why aren't these idiots going for the banana?"

Immediately he dashed to climb the rope. Almost instinctively the group of monkeys ran over to him screaming and yelling and beating their chests, almost half-way up the rope they pulled him off and beat him up.

The monkey shocked and blissfully bewildered got the message, no climbing the rope - banana or no banana, no questions were asked.

Then the man outside the cage repeated it again a week later, replacing George with a new monkey David, and the events would repeat itself yet again. And so on and so forth until all the monkeys were replaced. Now none of them would climb the rope to get the banana but none of them knew why! None of them had ever been sprayed with water.

Then a 5th monkey was introduced almost a year later since the experiment started. He attempted to climb and was taken down and brutally beaten by the other 4 monkeys, when the new monkey asked them why, none of them had an answer, none of them knew why, they looked at each other and shrugged "That's the way we always do things around here :/"

The guy who first sprayed the fire-hose was long gone, the new guy outside the cage had no idea why the monkeys would not get the banana or why the other monkeys were beating up the new monkeys who tried to get it, none of the monkeys themselves knew why they were required to beat up new monkeys who attempted to get the banana, the whole reasoning behind the entire shindig had been long lost.

Don’t just beat up the new monkey – whether it is a new employee, a new way to pitch a tarp; their questioning of “The way we do things round here” may actually be a valid one. Circumstances may have changed - e.g. new materials like you mentioned with the posts from 10 years ago.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That's a nice parable, and true, but I find that most of the time folks do try to explain the specific reasons for the way they do things and some potential issues with "new" ideas that really aren't new.

What you'll notice is that truly new ideas most often come from people who are deeply versed in any topic, both from academic and experiential standpoints, yet who have not lost their creative insight and intuition... they're still willing to ask "What if....?" but have the ability to immediately recognize what is genuinely new and what has been tried, thoroughly tested and discarded.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What you'll notice is that truly new ideas most often come from people who are deeply versed in any topic, both from academic and experiential standpoints, yet who have not lost their creative insight and intuition... they're still willing to ask "What if....?" but have the ability to immediately recognize what is genuinely new and what has been tried, thoroughly tested and discarded.
    This forum really does need a like button. Well said!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12