Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does this Tarp Exist

I am looking into getting a tarp for a hammock setup. I am really liking the Tarp with doors setup. The issue I am seeing with almost all the tarps though, is that they are max 10-11 feet wide. Thus, only offering around 5 feet on each side of the guy line. If you were to hang this, say at 6 feet so you have standing room under, then the tarp doesn't reach the floor. On the other hand, if you do set the height as to where the tarp touches the ground, you have to crouch to stay underneath it.

I've come across the video where the one gentleman is using the Noah 16 tarp, 16' x 16'. Great setup, but it isn't the lightest at around 3lbs. I've also seen that the Noah 12, 12'x12' can be used, but its a lot more cramped inside and the 16 just offers more room. Length wise, 16' is overkill, 12-13' is perfect. So, I came across the WB Superfly, which is almost perfect. I just wish it was wider, so you could pitch it at head height and have it come down to the ground.

So, is there a tarp like the Superfly but wider? I believe the superfly comes down 5 feet on each side, if it were to be 8 feet, that would be perfect.

There may not be a tarp like that, so may just have to stick with the Noah 16.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Check out Dutch’s two person tarp. 11.5’ wide, 12’ long, 25 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I've thought about this myself. I think the bigger problem is that your centered under the tarp there be plenty of room if the hammock wasn't in the middle of the space. I only ever use one side of my hammock for getting in and out.

something else is, I don't think you really want it to go all the way to the ground. what happens is the tarp is covered in snow and then the whole thing sags down and then the part that gets down near the ground gets buried in snow, which is fine for insulation and keeping the wind out but it puts a lot of stress on the fabric.

I've taken to pitching mine at stand under height anyway. I've got a 0°F quilt-set and in my coldest weeks of winter I'll add my ¾ length 30°F quilt-set to the stack. I've been at the edge of needing to add something more, but I've never quite had to yet with my tarp in the above configuration.

note that, under snow load, if you were originally pitched at standing height, you will be crouching when there's snow load, even if only a couple of inches. once you have a nice snow berm around the edge, most of the wind and blown snow just goes around. you don't really want to seal it anyway because you want the air exchange

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Dutch has a xenon wide that is wider, but beware the specs, I sent a tarp back to them because it was out of spec. Quite a bit. Jared from simply light designs will make you a nice wide tarp

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You might want to rethink getting a tarp so wide that you will have no ventilation. Condensation is gonna be a killer.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Being older and less agile than I once was, the ability to stand up without stooping is essential for me. That said, I usually have one side fairly low, and the other in porch mode of some degree. My tarp is just over 13 ft. and bolt width each side. Happily, I can say my gear has not gotten wet even in pretty heavy weather. I cannot see myself wrestling with one of those extra large and heavy tarps, especially when they are wet.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    My brother told me once regarding "reinventing the wheel", he's been in construction his whole life, and when he first started out as a laborer he always had all these ideas about how to make things faster or better, and he always ended up going back to the ways that all the old guys were doing it. people do things the way they do them for a reason.

I always thought this was pretty wise for someone who is younger than me. but then I realized too, that the only way to come up with new things is to take a risk and try.

the worst case is you just realize that the old guys were right. but there's always that chance that you'll be the guy that comes up with something better.

if you look back through these forums you find all kinds of deprecated information that still crops up because new people go back and read all of those old posts from 10 years ago or older. all those old posts that were really popular and have a lot of comments and were things that were considered facts back then, but in the meantime have been disproven. I really wish there was a good way to prune or at least flag all those old post that don't really apply anymore.

my point is that we've given reasons why a wider tarp may not work, but that's just information, and you may find ways to overcome them and make it work.
    personally right now I'd really like a way to ventilate my hammock without letting the insects in

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Check out Dutch’s two person tarp. 11.5’ wide, 12’ long, 25 oz.

I've seen this awesome tarp, on Dutch's hammock no less. Sort of like hanging inside a quonset hut!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You might want to rethink getting a tarp so wide that you will have no ventilation. Condensation is gonna be a killer.
    Me inside my hot tent after falling asleep for a few hours (stove not burning). It's like a jungle. A 12°F jungle.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I've seen this awesome tarp, on Dutch's hammock no less. Sort of like hanging inside a quonset hut!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    It looks like you could park a mid size SUV under Dutch's 2 person tarp if you were able to hang it high enough!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast