Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
    Images
    Well put, Shug. I've especially noticing decreasing ambition lately. Yesterday I thought I'd go hiking at Mt. Rainier today- got up and lost the old urge to go. Might be because I'm pushing 70- come September I'll be dragging it...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Well put, Shug. I've especially noticing decreasing ambition lately. Yesterday I thought I'd go hiking at Mt. Rainier today- got up and lost the old urge to go. Might be because I'm pushing 70- come September I'll be dragging it...
    You earned the less-ambition attitude!!! Maybe just lay in the hammock instead. You may need practice at that~~ haaaa
    Slug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Just turned 88 and my knees are gone. So...I just purchased an electric bike and am back on the trail. "Boldly going forth, I know not where."

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver View Post
    Just turned 88 and my knees are gone. So...I just purchased an electric bike and am back on the trail. "Boldly going forth, I know not where."
    How do you like that electric bike? I hear raves about them. Make sure to wear your helmet!!! Enjoy the trip to "I know not where."
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    The electric bike is great for I was having trouble with a replacement knee on hills. Now, I just press the assist button and it is over the top without even having to shift. It is also very easy to stealth camp with a bike. I just amble along and seldom go top speed.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I’m finding this thread oddly inspirational. If I can still hike/bike/camp in my 80s I will be thrilled to pieces. Turning 50 and experiencing more activity related injuries has been a humbling experience. I hope I never quit but I appreciate I’m not alone in my pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I’m finding this thread oddly inspirational. If I can still hike/bike/camp in my 80s I will be thrilled to pieces. Turning 50 and experiencing more activity related injuries has been a humbling experience. I hope I never quit but I appreciate I’m not alone in my pursuits.
    I've got 2 years left of not being 50, and I am really just getting started. I have found this thread hugely inspirational.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    If I am still breathing in my 80s I will be thrilled to pieces! But threads like this motivate me. I want to be the one posting about about celebrating my 80th (or 90th) with a backcountry backpacking trip. Only a couple of decades to go.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I agree. I’ve had a rough year turning 50 including breaking my hand in four places, breaking my wrist, fracturing a cheek bone and tearing ligaments in an ankle. I guess I’m lucky in that all these were sports/biking related injuries and I’m still out there pursuing my hobbies. My wife thinks I should be slowing things down and she’s not entirely wrong. I don’t plan to stop but I know I’m no longer 20. I take inspiration from this thread. Power on my friends - life is too short to live within the confines of a nuagahyde recliner.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    When I was a child, I thought it was really strange that older adults would spend so much time talking about their (and others') ailments and injuries. Now I totally get it. We know our bodies are going to start giving out, but when it starts to happen, it's a shock: "Why can't I do X anymore? What is going on???"

Sometimes I think, if only I could tell my younger self about this.... then I realize, it wouldn't have made any difference! Feeling invincible when young is not curable! (and I don't think it would have changed how I behaved...)

Adjusting to limitations involves constant self-assessment. "Will I be able to safely go up on the roof this year to clear the gutters?" "If I can't do X this time, who in heck will I ask to do it for me???" And Shug's ("Slug's")? philosophy is right where I'm at:

...Ambition decreasing. Ego diminishing. TV alluring. Money don't matter. Sitting is beauty. Garden is nirvana. Food is glory. Sleep is a party.
    The only problem is, I still have another year of employment to get through....

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast