Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer Zip XL
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon30d Hex
    Insulation
    WIP
    Suspension
    SpiderPoly/Beetles

Cool Hello, from Western North Carolina!

I'm pretty new to hammock camping, but I am very excited for the journey. I've been lurking around the forums for a few weeks and I have to say, there is an awesome community here. I've noticed that NC has a lot of members on here and I'm sure it's because of all the great forests we have.

So yea, I bought my Hennessy without doing much research. It's a fine hammock and it is built like a tank. I have the Explorer Ultralight Zip Xl and I added on their 30d Silnylon Hex Tarp. I'll be looking to switch over to a Dream Hammock next year, as well as a Dyneema tarp, but for now, I've been modifying my system focusing on two main components:

1- Weight: If only I had started with a Dream Hammock. I swapped the stock suspension and went with Dutchware's Spider/poly straps at 15' with beetle buckles. I'm sure I could have gone shorter on the straps, but just a couple of ounces will unlock more versatility in choosing a hang site. 7/64" Amsteel continuous loops round out the suspension. The loops weigh about 5 g each, while each Hennessy cord was about 33 g. That's two ounces right there.

I had initially ditched the stock tree huggers and grabbed some ENO Atlas straps. I was trying out the carabiner/repel ring deal that utilizes the Hennessy's stock cordage. Well, that's just insanely heavy. Each ring is 2 oz. I was messing around with using a becket hitch on the Atlas straps, but I still felt like I was missing out on something.

2- Functionality/Ease of use: The beetle buckle system seems to be one of the easiest systems out. Yes, a becket hitch is super simple and you don't need to add hardware. But the fact is, it just isn't as adjustable. Sure, you can keep taking the knot out and moving your hammock up or down, but the beetle buckle, man, these things are great and they're quite light.

I have some Zingit being delivered tomorrow, along with some of Dutch's Ringworms, a Wasp, and a Dutch hook. I'm going to make my own continuous ridgeline. Does anyone have a particular youtube tutorial they could suggest? I've already tied off some small bungees to my guylines using the clover-hitch and I'm very happy with how that is working. But I do have a question about what systems you prefer.

With the ringworms, it seems to work when you keep your guylines attached to your stakes. But I'm also interested in setting it up front-porch style by attaching the front guylines to trees. I'm really just asking about your preferred guy line setups.

I know I've added a bit of hardware considering I've said weight is a priority for me. But I'm not really looking at grams right now. My insulation is coming in at about 74 ounces right now. I'm using my Kelty Cosmic 20 and picked up the OneTigris 40* from Amazon. I'm saving up right now to grab some a couple down quilts and that, along with a Dyneema tarp, is going to save me about 2.5 pounds. I'll get about another half pound off when I go Dream Hammock. I will also be looking to get a 40* set of quilts next year for summer use/winter stacking, that will shave another pound off of my summer pack.

Well, I think that's enough words for my first post. I just want to say this community makes me happy. It takes me back to the old days of the internet. I'm happy to be here and can't wait to go out and get some more hangs. If you read this far, wow, I like you.

JohnnyHangs

Edit: I can't seem to add photos. Is there a file size limit? I hit the attachment button, browse my files, select the file, then it seems to be thinking, but the file is never uploaded. Ideas?
    Last edited by johnnyhangs; 08-24-2020 at 12:31. Reason: Trouble uploading images

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Welcome to the madness!
    Check out Grayson Hang last weekend of September.
    And Yates Hang on time change weekend
    Also Tarheel State Hangers on FaceBook will have a Hangsgiving Hang probably B4 Thanksgiving.
    All great places to meet other hammock campers and see their rigs firsthand.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon30d Hex
    Insulation
    WIP
    Suspension
    SpiderPoly/Beetles
    Thanks for the tips

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Welcome. I’m a newbie also in NC, and I’m still searching for the right components that I can afford. This forum has over a decade of community experience documented. It’s a lot of fun just to read through the various threads if you have time. And if you are even slightly interest in DIY like I am, some of the threads on making your own hammocks, tarps, suspension, etc are amazing. The threads on DIY quilts using Costco Down Throws blew my mind. This community likes to tinker and share.

Regarding the use of ring worms and your desire to tie off to a tree ... if you are willing to pull a stake from the ground, it might work to run the guy line around a tree and then tie off with a Marlin Spike Hitch and use the stake as the spike. Then it’s a quick untie to anchor back in the ground.

Alternatively, one could just run separate guy lines - one to ground and one to tree - for each tie off since the ring worm makes for an easy switch to connect your tarp shock cord to the preferred anchor. This option means carrying an extra couple of guys with ring worms attached, but cord is minimal weight and I always find extra cord handy to have.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon30d Hex
    Insulation
    WIP
    Suspension
    SpiderPoly/Beetles
    That's a genius idea right there, I'll tell ya. Marlin spike with the stake, duh. Happy hangin!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome from down at the beach (and occasionally Asheville.)

• + New Posts