WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images

Is the WOOKIE the best choice for BBXLC underquilt?

Actually feeling guilty asking this! And it's a bit early weather-wise but I'm looking forward to winter hanging and maybe this has been asked before - but is the Wookie the natural choice for my XLC? I see a lot of people like the HG Incubator....

Images
    Well, the BBXLC has a somewhat unique completed shape when the bugnet is attached. The bugnet isn't just asym requiring the occupant to lay at a particular diagonal; the net also has a unique shape which creates a "footbox" which is distinctly different at the foot end/side than the head end/side. Where the Wooki really shines is that it has a matching asym cut, including the footbox. To attach it, as you probably know, you literally just attach the 2 ends of the quilt to the 2 gathered ends of the hammock and it fits without any adjustment.

The Wooki can be used on non BBXLC hammocks, but it might require a bit of fiddling to get dialed in. The inverse is true of using a non-Wooki UQ with an XLC. An Incubator, for example, will work on that hammock (as well as any other gathered end hammock), and you can adjust it to account for the footbox and so on, but it might require a little more fiddling. Another downside of the Wooki is they have a fixed lay direction. If you ever decide to change directions, the Wooki won't accomodate, and this must be taken into account if thinking of selling the Wooki later on - the buyer will have to accept whichever lay direction it is.

If you want the easiest and most foolproof UQ for your BBXLC, then get a Wooki XL. If you want something that is more universal, then an Incubator is a good choice, as are several other cottage vendor UQs.

Hammock
    WBBB / Chameleon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    SLD TW / CRO UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    The Wookie was designed specifically for the BBXLC so you really can't go wrong with it. Its particular magic is the asymetrical lay with insulation only where you need it. That cuts down on weight and bulk without affecting comfort. The hook up to the XLC is very simple with a set and forget suspension. The Wookie and the Yeti is in a lot of Warbonnet hammock owners' dreams. It can be used on other hammocks but is designed for the BlackBird and Eldorado hammocks.
    If you think you would like to check out a synthetic UQ, Simply Light Designs builds the Trail Winder. It follows the same design as the Wookie, but in Apex Climashield.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Simply, yes. It is. You will get better coverage and comfort, because it is designed to fit

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    The easy answer would be to say "yes"- as the Wooki & Wooki XL was engineered from the ground up to fit the BB and BBXLC perfectly.

The more complex answer is it also depends on the sleeper. While the Wooki is fiddle-free, and the insulation perfectly follows the body (when laying straight like an arrow), some sleepers do not always lay straight like an arrow- but rather prefer to "spread out" when they sleep. What the Wooki loses over traditional UQs is the insulation covering the width of the hammock body. Having insulation up on the sides is helpful for folks who sleep in a "figure 4" position (with one leg pulled upwards, knee sticking out to the side). If you sleep in that position, your knee will compress the insulation in that spot of your top quilt, so having UQ insulation there will help keep your leg warm. The Wooki will only keep your legs warm, so long as they stay positioned directly on top of the insulation.

If you sleep in a consistent position, and tend to lay mostly still, the Wooki XL is probably the best option for the BBXLC. But if you move around during the night, or spread your body out, you may find that a traditional UQ fits the bill better.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I haven’t tried anything other than the Wookie, but yes!

Hammock
    Blackbird / Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema 4-Door
    Insulation
    TQ + Wooki / Lynx
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Definitely the natural choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Well, the BBXLC has a somewhat unique completed shape when the bugnet is attached. The bugnet isn't just asym requiring the occupant to lay at a particular diagonal; the net also has a unique shape which creates a "footbox" which is distinctly different at the foot end/side than the head end/side. Where the Wooki really shines is that it has a matching asym cut, including the footbox. To attach it, as you probably know, you literally just attach the 2 ends of the quilt to the 2 gathered ends of the hammock and it fits without any adjustment.

The Wooki can be used on non BBXLC hammocks, but it might require a bit of fiddling to get dialed in. The inverse is true of using a non-Wooki UQ with an XLC. An Incubator, for example, will work on that hammock (as well as any other gathered end hammock), and you can adjust it to account for the footbox and so on, but it might require a little more fiddling. Another downside of the Wooki is they have a fixed lay direction. If you ever decide to change directions, the Wooki won't accomodate, and this must be taken into account if thinking of selling the Wooki later on - the buyer will have to accept whichever lay direction it is.

If you want the easiest and most foolproof UQ for your BBXLC, then get a Wooki XL. If you want something that is more universal, then an Incubator is a good choice, as are several other cottage vendor UQs.
    I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I don't understand how the footbox impacts an underquilt. On my XLC, the footbox is a triangular-shaped piece of netting that is above the hammock itself. When you take the bug net off, the footbox is part of the bug net and all you have left is the gathered-end hammock. I have never seen a Wookie installed in person, but I believe the Wookie and other underquilts "sit below" the foot box. At least they do when I install them on my XLC. Maybe I'm installing them incorrectly, but I don't get cold.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    hough any UQ will fit and work on an XLC, the Wooki works very well and good. Just make sure you have your XLC set-up according to Warbonnets specs for best results since you can't slide Wooki back and forth on suspension.
    Shug

From Warbonnet website Set-Up.....https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking-101/

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I don't understand how the footbox impacts an underquilt. On my XLC, the footbox is a triangular-shaped piece of netting that is above the hammock itself. When you take the bug net off, the footbox is part of the bug net and all you have left is the gathered-end hammock. I have never seen a Wookie installed in person, but I believe the Wookie and other underquilts "sit below" the foot box. At least they do when I install them on my XLC. Maybe I'm installing them incorrectly, but I don't get cold.
    No disrespect perceived. You are correct, that the specialized cut of the bugnet is what creates the footbox shape of the hammock when the two are joined together. With the bugnet removed, the BBXLC (or the Eldorado, which is an identical hammock body) is just a symmetrical rectangle of fabric, gathered at the ends, with zipper track along both side hems.

However, when the bugnet is attached to the hammock body, the footbox shape is created in the hammock, due to the "dip" in the zipper track created by the unique shape of the net. Essentially the footbox is caused by the bugnet, but it affects the hammock. Without the unique bugnet, the zipper track in the hammock would follow a more continuous upward curve, rather than the dip that creates the footbox shown here. The dip creates a little slack in the hammock body fabric, which alleviates some of the pressure that could otherwise be applied to the hammocker's outboard foot. (Image could possibly confuse the uninitiated because the unique portion of the bugnet is actually the same green nylon as the hammock body in this image.)

I wasn't implying a non-bespoke underquilt like the Incubator won't work with a BBXLC. I was stating that the shape of the Wooki is cut to match near perfectly the shape of the footbox as shown in the image. No adjustments of any type are needed, and the Wooki doesn't add any tension or restriction in the footbox area. Another type of full length UQ, like the Incubator, will still work very well with this hammock, but they typically require at least some adjustment of the primary & secondary suspensions and the end cinches, to get just right - and it's possible the shock cord suspension on typical full length UQs could cause some minor restriction or pressure in that footbox area.

FWIW, I have several gathered end hammocks and full length UQs from multiple vendors, and I also have a BBXLC and Wooki XL. I actually have less experience with the XLC and Wooki than the others, and even less experience using a non-Wooki UQ with the XLC. But I'll maintain my original position that the easiest and most foolproof UQ to mate with the BBXLC is the Wooki, while an Incubator or similar is more universal, adaptable, and adjustable.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 08-25-2020 at 11:52.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast