BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    the easiest and most foolproof UQ to mate with the BBXLC is the Wooki, while an Incubator or similar is more universal, adaptable, and adjustable.
    I think this is a pretty good summarization. Buying a Wookie will lock you into a specialized piece of equipment with it's pros and cons. I have Incubators and Wookies, 40 - 0 degrees. I pretty much use the Wookie exclusively. Not having as much side coverage and a limited bottom means you have to be a little more particular with your top quilt IMO. As was mentioned by rweb82, a cold knee can be annoying if you tend to stick a leg a certain way. I think one or two more rows of insulation would make a great wide-wookie option for Warbonnet. I've used my 0 in gusty cold wind conditions without a tarp and it is certainly fine. Less weight, less bulk and super simple setup are why I leave the Incubator at home.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    The easy answer would be to say "yes"- as the Wooki & Wooki XL was engineered from the ground up to fit the BB and BBXLC perfectly.

The more complex answer is it also depends on the sleeper. While the Wooki is fiddle-free, and the insulation perfectly follows the body (when laying straight like an arrow), some sleepers do not always lay straight like an arrow- but rather prefer to "spread out" when they sleep. What the Wooki loses over traditional UQs is the insulation covering the width of the hammock body. Having insulation up on the sides is helpful for folks who sleep in a "figure 4" position (with one leg pulled upwards, knee sticking out to the side). If you sleep in that position, your knee will compress the insulation in that spot of your top quilt, so having UQ insulation there will help keep your leg warm. The Wooki will only keep your legs warm, so long as they stay positioned directly on top of the insulation.

If you sleep in a consistent position, and tend to lay mostly still, the Wooki XL is probably the best option for the BBXLC. But if you move around during the night, or spread your body out, you may find that a traditional UQ fits the bill better.
    I can't confirm this. I often spread out in all kinds of positions and I have never been cold with the Wooki. In contrast to every other "normal" underquilt. If you're an active sleeper, the Wooki will be especially helpful, because it stays in place much better. Other underquilts have often slipped off my shoulder or over my feet during the night. The Wooki never.

The only reason to get another underquilt is if you flip-flop during the night, that is if you change directions. But in this case, the XLC probably also doesn't work well, because it is directional, too.

I only use Wookis on all of my GE hammocks, so in my opinion, the Wooki is the best underquilt for any GE hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    I think this is a pretty good summarization. Buying a Wookie will lock you into a specialized piece of equipment with it's pros and cons.
    It doesn't lock you into anything. I have been using my Wookis with all GE hammocks I own. In the end, it is simply an insulated hammock, that you hang under your primary hammock. As long as the primary hammock isn't shorter or doesn't have a rectangular shape, the Wooki will fit with a simple extension of the suspension. I have even used it on my Mayan hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    Not having as much side coverage and a limited bottom means you have to be a little more particular with your top quilt IMO. As was mentioned by rweb82, a cold knee can be annoying if you tend to stick a leg a certain way. I think one or two more rows of insulation would make a great wide-wookie option for Warbonnet.
    If I remember correctly, the Wooki is even wider than the Incubator in the top, but narrower in the bottom. The difference is, it doesn't move with you. If you are aware of that, you can just move a bit more to the right or left, to get the coverage you like. For example if you pull up your knees, and they end up outside the insulated area, move your butt a couple of inches in the opposite direction. This has worked for me, although it probably gets more challenging the taller you are.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I can't confirm this. I often spread out in all kinds of positions and I have never been cold with the Wooki. In contrast to every other "normal" underquilt. If you're an active sleeper, the Wooki will be especially helpful, because it stays in place much better. Other underquilts have often slipped off my shoulder or over my feet during the night. The Wooki never.

The only reason to get another underquilt is if you flip-flop during the night, that is if you change directions. But in this case, the XLC probably also doesn't work well, because it is directional, too.

I only use Wookis on all of my GE hammocks, so in my opinion, the Wooki is the best underquilt for any GE hammock.
    A person's size is going to be a factor as to whether or not the issue I mentioned is made apparent. If I'm not mistaken (from reading some of your earlier posts), that you are probably on the smaller side in terms of height. You may never experience the issue I mentioned, because even when you spread out in the hammock, you are less likely to max out the surface area of the insulation on your Wooki or TQ. I'm 6'1", so when I sleep in a "figure 4" position, my leg does not stay covered by the insulation of my SLD Trail Winder (which is essentially a synthetic Wooki). That is not to say that I don't enjoy that particular UQ, because I do. I just know that I cannot spread out quite the same when using it as I do with my traditional UQs.

These types of UQs (Wooki & Trail Winder) are a great design in many ways- they're super easy to set up, lighter in weight, and stay put. Because of this, they do solve some of the issues folks have had with traditional UQs. But I also think it's fair to point out that this design does have a couple potential drawbacks for certain taller individuals who may sleep a particular way.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    It doesn't lock you into anything. I have been using my Wookis with all GE hammocks I own. In the end, it is simply an insulated hammock, that you hang under your primary hammock. As long as the primary hammock isn't shorter or doesn't have a rectangular shape, the Wooki will fit with a simple extension of the suspension.
    My reference to lock in pertains to the directional lay. If I decide I prefer the other direction, I will need to buy another one.

Also, I am about six foot and if I move my leg as rweb82 describes I have gotten a cold knee. It hasn't been an issue for me but worth noting.

Despite any minor quibbles, I still love and use my Wookies on almost all trips. If something happened to one of mine, I would buy another without hesitation.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images
    Guys - ( and girls ) ..... THANK YOU! I really appreciate the input and wisdom....

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images
    Hey Shug - Hope all is well, I asked about the Wookie for my BBXLC and if it was the obvious choice - after some much appreciated input the votes are in and YES.... the Wookie is the clear winner. Now.... I direct a couple of queries to YOU.... Since it's still hot and the cold is months away I think I'm gonna just go with a custom Wookie...... I have the time. So.... I live in Western PA.... I LOVE winter camping. I can't WAIT to hang during a winter storm and/or when the temps drop into the twenties - We really don't see the temps that you experience. So, would it be overkill to go with the 950 fill Zero degree Wookie? I was actually thinking about (for once) being realistic and going with the 850 fill 20 degree. Y'know the price difference is not that much when you experiment with different options on the WB site - Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12